Nose piercings are a fantastic way to express your individuality and style. Whether you’re considering your first nose piercing or looking to add another, understanding the types of piercings, ring sizes, and jewelry measurements is crucial. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to make informed decisions about your nose jewelry.
Nose Piercings Chart
Here’s the nose piercings chart showcasing various types of nose piercings, including nostril, septum, bridge, and high nostril. Each type is clearly labeled with brief descriptions to help you understand the different options available. This chart is designed to be educational and easy to understand for anyone interested in learning about nose piercing possibilities.
Types of Nose Piercings
Nose piercings come in various types, each with its unique appeal and placement on the nose.
- Nostril Piercing: The most common type, placed on the outer part of the nostril. It can be on either side and accommodates studs, hoops, and screws.
- Septum Piercing: Goes through the nasal septum, usually in the softer space below the cartilage. Suitable for hoops, barbells, and captive bead rings.
- Bridge Piercing: A horizontal piercing across the bridge of the nose, between the eyes. Typically adorned with straight barbells.
- High Nostril Piercing: Similar to the standard nostril piercing but located higher up, closer to the bridge. It requires smaller jewelry like studs or screws due to its placement.
- Nasallang Piercing: A complex piercing that goes through both nostrils and the septum, requiring a straight barbell.
Nose Ring Sizes and Jewelry Measurements
When selecting a nose ring, one of the most important considerations is getting the right fit. Nose ring sizes are measured by their diameter, usually ranging from 12g to 20g. A petite 16g or 18g ring tends to work best for most nostril piercings. For septum piercings, 14g or 16g are common sizes.
Use calipers to precisely measure the thickness of your piercing. Your piercer can also help determine the ideal diameter by testing different sizes. Getting an accurate nose ring measurement ensures a comfortable, secure fit that highlights your features beautifully.
Gauge and Diameter
- Gauge: Refers to the thickness of the jewelry. Common sizes for nose piercings are 18G (1.0mm) and 20G (0.8mm), with 18G being slightly thicker.
- Diameter: Important for hoops, indicating the size of the ring. Common diameters range from 7mm to 11mm, with 8mm and 9mm being the most popular for a snug fit.
- Length for Studs: The wearable length of nose studs varies, with standard lengths around 6mm to 7mm. This measurement ensures comfort and proper fit.
- Studs: Available in L-shape, screw, bone (straight post with a small ball at the end), and fishtail (long straight post to be custom bent).
- Hoops: Include seamless rings, captive bead rings, and circular barbells. Diameter choice depends on personal preference and the placement of the piercing.
Choosing the Right Jewelry
When selecting nose jewelry, consider the following:
- Comfort and Fit: Ensure the gauge and length/diameter match your piercing and nose size for comfort.
- Material: Opt for high-quality materials like surgical steel, titanium, or gold to avoid irritation and allergies.
- Style: Choose a style that reflects your personality and fits your lifestyle. Whether it’s a subtle stud or a bold hoop, the right piece can enhance your look.
Aftercare and Healing
Proper aftercare is essential for a healthy piercing. Follow your piercer’s instructions, which typically include cleaning the piercing with saline solution and avoiding unnecessary touching. Healing times vary depending on the type of piercing, ranging from 4 to 6 months for nostril piercings to 6 to 9 months for high nostril piercings.
Nose piercings offer a versatile way to accessorize and express yourself. By understanding the different types of piercings, jewelry sizes, and how to choose the right pieces, you can ensure a comfortable and stylish addition to your look. Remember, the key to a great nose piercing is not just the jewelry you choose but also the care you provide during the healing process.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2018. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.