Summer is, unfortunately, coming to a close, which means it’s time to put away our swimsuits and take out our sweaters because fall is right around the corner. The only good part about summer ending is the beginning of fall. Fall is a special time filled with pumpkins, apples, and colorful leaves. But the best …
DIY Fashion 101
Learn the basics of creating your own DIY fashion.
Styles for Holidays and Celebrations
Fashion projects for every holiday and celebration throughout the year.
- New Year’s Eve Projects: How to make New Years’ Eve clothes, jewelry and accessories.
- St Patrick’s Day: How to make St. Patrick’s Day clothes, jewelry, and accessories. Create your own green festive creations without spending a pot of gold.
- Fathers Day Projects: Fathers Day Projects. Make free gifts for dad and use the free Fathers Day stencils on your DIY Fathers Day crafts.
- Halloween Projects and Costumes: Learn how to make Halloween jewelry, costumes and more with this collection of seasonal how-tos and galleries.
- Mardi Gras Costumes and Masks: Create wild costumes and feathered masks for Mardi Gras with these easy and impressive DIY Fashion tutorials.
- Valentine’s Day Projects: How to make Valentine’s Day clothes jewelry and accessories. Just add hearts and you’re all set for love.
- Mothers Day Projects: Mothers Day Projects. Make free gifts for mom and use the free Mothers Day stencils on your DIY Mothers Day crafts.
- Independence Day Projects: How to make Independence Day clothes, jewelry and accessories. Show your patriotic side with these red, white and blue styles.
- Christmas: Ho ho ho! Get festive with these clothing, jewelry and accessory projects. Make them for yourself, or give them as gifts with that personal touch.
Beginner DIY Fashion Projects
Beginner Projects. Index of free and easy step-by-step DIY fashion projects.
- Shirts: Follow these step-by-step instructions to create your own DIY tops for all seasons.
- Pants: Make your own pants with these easy step-by-step instructions.
- Jewelry: DIY jewelry can happen in a matter of seconds. Don’t drop mad cash on bling when you can get these looks on a dime.
- Skirts: Make your own skirts. DIY Fashion is quick and easy with these step-by-step instructions.
- Easy Sewing: If you are new to sewing or just want a quick and easy project, try these sewing projects for beginners.
- Accessories: Create your own DIY fashion accessories. Purses, belts, leg warmers and more!
- Mending and Alterations: Mending and altering your clothes means that your wardrobe will last longer and fit better. Doctoring your clothes is a snap with these easy to follow directions.
Here are some offbeat and relaxed fashions to add to your mix.
Free Patches and Applique Patterns
Free print-out shapes for patches and applique designs. Learn how to patch pants and add decorative appliques.
Create the Latest Fashion Trends
Learn how to make the latest fashion trends at home with these free patterns and tutorials.
- DIY Fashion for Men: Advice and tutorials for DIY men’s fashion, including necktie knots and suit alterations.
Recycling and Upcycled Fashion
Recycled and upcycled fashion is a great way to reinvent clothing that you would otherwise have to throw away. Here are some free projects to renew your wardrobe with recycled and upcycled fashion.
- Recycled and Upcycled Accessories: Recycled Accessories. How to make purses, bags belts, and more out of other clothing and recyclable items.
- Recycled and Upcycled Shoes: Learn how to turn drab shoes into new upcycled fashions with these free patterns and tutorials.
- Fashion from Recycled Materials: Learn how to make your own clothing and accessories by using recycled materials that would otherwise end up in the trash.
- Free Patches and Applique Patterns: Free print-out shapes for patches and applique designs. Learn how to patch pants and add decorative appliques.
- Recycled and Upcycled Clothing: Turn old clothes into new designs or make clothing out of recycled materials. These free tutorials and patterns will show you how to upcycle and recycle your own clothes.
Celebrity Style to Make
Learn how to make what the celebrities are wearing, and find out which celebrities like to DIY their own styles.
- Gwen Stefani’s Fashion File: What will she come up with next? Gwen Stefani started out by crafting her own stage outfits, and now she’s a regular fashion mogul with her L.A.M.B. and Harajuku Lovers lines.
It’s hard to pin down what exactly is the ‘hippie’ look, but most people can agree that it is grounded in respect for the natural world and a love of music and community. Here are some examples of earthy styles that are comfortable, funky and unique.
- Quilt Blocks for Hippie Styles: Quilt blocks can be put on the front of an apron top, used as an add-on pocket, or patched onto the side of a skirt. Adding a quilt block to any piece of clothing can give it a whole new look. Learn how to make quilt blocks to add cute designs to any patchwork project.
Resources for Crafting Fashion
Nobody DIY by themselves. Get tips and ideas from these DIY fashion organizations, websites, and books.
- Free Embroidery Patterns: Free Embroidery Patterns for all your embroidery projects.
- Crochet Patterns and Supplies: Hooks, yarn, and patterns. Find out what you need to crochet and where to get it. From your About.com Guide to Crochet.
- Craft Books and Reviews: DIY Fashion books and instructions. Reviews of the hottest and most helpful DIY Fashion books. Learn how to knit, sew, crochet and dye clothes.
- Knitting Books: Sarah E. White, our About.com guide to Knitting is truly knowledgeable and ready to give you a hand. She has reviewed many knitting books and can point you in the right direction at the bookstore.
- Sewing Books: Your Guide to Sewing has all the know-how when it comes to stitchin’ pretty. Here are some of her book reviews to give you some guidance.
- Glossary: Find the definitions of various fashion crafting terms here.
- Knitting Patterns and Supplies: Knitting needles, yarn, and free patterns. Your Guide to Knitting has everything you need.
- DIY Fashion FAQ: Frequently asked questions about do-it-yourself fashion techniques and styles.
Sewing and Craft Dictionary
Ever wonder what bar tack is? How about how to wash alpaca wool? Can you dye spandex? Learn the answers to these questions and more in Rain’s sewing and craft dictionary.
- No-Sew Clothes: You don’t need stitching skills to make these fun and easy fashions.
- Duct Tape Clothes: Make more than prom dresses with these free step-by-step photo instructions for duct tape clothing and accessories.
Make Tops and Shirts
Follow these step-by-step instructions to create your own DIY tops for all seasons.
Make Pants and Shorts
Learn how to make pants and shorts with these free patterns and tutorials.
- Pants Patterns and Tutorials: How to Make Pants. Make, dye, adjust and customize your own pants with these patterns and tutorials.
- Shorts Patterns and Tutorials: How to Make Shorts. Learn how to make a pair of shorts with these easy patterns and tutorials.
Make Skirts and Dresses
Learn how to make skirts and dresses with these free patterns and tutorials.
- Dress Patterns and Tutorials: How to Dresses. Learn how to make dresses with these free patterns and Tutorials.
Whether it’s Halloween or time to hit a convention, homemade costumes are the best way to save money and look unique.
- A-Z Character Costume Tutorials: Learn how to make your own costumes with these free photo galleries and tutorials.
- Costume Accessories: Costume Accessories. Learn to make your own costume accessories with these photo tutorials. Bears, wigs, pouches, fake weapons and more.
- Masks: Learn how to make masks and masquerade costumes with these easy tutorials.
- Budget Costumes: Budget Costumes. You can make these cheap costumes out of stuff you find around the house or inexpensive materials.
- Face Painting: Learn how to face paint with these photo tutorials.
- Homemade Costume Photos: Homemade Costume Photos. See photos of handmade costumes made by our readers, as well as costume enthusiasts at events. These are a great inspiration for your own costume projects.
- Horror Makeup: Learn how to create realistic victims with liquid latex, prosthetic pieces, fake blood, and face makeup.
DIY Bags and Accessories
Create your own DIY fashion accessories. Purses, belts, leg warmers, and more DIY accessories are here.
- Gloves and Mittens – How to Make Gloves and Mittens: How to Make Gloves and Mittens. Learn how to make gloves and mittens with these free patterns and tutorials.
- Headbands – How to Make Headbands: How to Make Headbands. Learn how to make headbands with these free patterns and tutorials.
- Knit Headbands: Knit Headbands. Learn how to knit headbands with these free patterns and tutorials from our Guide to Knitting.
- Crocheted Headbands: Crochet is easy to learn and these headbands are a great place to start. Create an array of new hair tamers with help from our Guide to Crochet.
- DIY Bags and Purses: How-To Bags and Purses. Learn how to make bags and purses with these free patterns and tutorials.
- How to Make Hats: Crochet, Knit, sew and customize your own hats to seal your lid with style.
- How to Make Scarves: Learn how to make your own scarves with these free patterns and tutorials.
- How to Make Jewelry: Great handmade jewelry can happen in a matter of seconds. I’ll show you how to make fiber jewelry, beaded jewelry… clay, wire, you name it. These how-to jewelry tutorials make it easy.
- How to Make Bracelets: How to Make Bracelets. Learn how to make bracelets using hemp, beads, clasps and more for your DIY fashion.
- Decoupage: Learn the basics of decoupage with these easy decoupage projects.
- Necklace Projects for Beginners: Necklace projects for beginners. Make your own DIY Fashion with these free necklace projects.
- Pins, Buttons, and Brooches: Learn how to make pins, buttons, and brooches. These easy instructions will show you the basics.
- How to Make Earrings: How to Make Earrings. Learn how to make earrings using shells, beads, clasps and more for your DIY fashion.
- Beadwork Tutorials: Learn how to work with beads using simple stitches and wire techniques.
- Beadwork Bracelet Projects: Lots of free beaded bracelet projects for you to try, using various stitches and types of beads.
- How-To Peyote Beadwork: Here are some peyote stitch tutorials and jewelry styles to make.
- Flat Seed Bead Patterns – Peyote Patterns: Free charted patterns to create pictures and patterns with seed beads.
- Animal Seed Bead Patterns: Animal Seed Bead Patterns
- Beadwork Necklace Tutorials: Create a variety of necklaces using beadwork stitches with these complete photo tutorials.
- How to Make Hemp Jewelry: Learn how to make hemp jewelry with these free macrame patterns and easy instructions…
- Resin Jewelry: Learn how to make resin jewelry with video tutorials.
- Books on Making Jewelry: Tammy Powley offers us these insightful reviews on the latest books about jewelry making.
Dye Print and Paint
Learn clothing coloring techniques.
- How to Screen Print: Screen printing at home can be easy when you have the right tools and know-how. These screen printing tutorials, stencils, and supplies are a great way to get started.
- How to Tie Dye: How to Tie Dye. Learn how to tie-dye with these easy instructions.
- Spray Painting Shirts: Spray painting shirts are a quick way to get an indie look. Use these instructions and free stencils to get started.
- Free Stencils to Print: Free Stencils. Use this library of free printable stencils for your patch, print and spray projects.
Mending and Alterations
Mending and altering your clothes means that your wardrobe will last longer and fit better. Doctoring your clothes is a snap with these easy to follow directions.
- Wedding and Prom Dress Alterations: Wedding gown and prom dress alterations.
- Homemade Stain Removal: Out, Darn Spot! Learn how to make stain remover and how to treat particularly tough stains. Just follow these recipes for stain removers and stain removal tips.
- Repair Clothing: Mending and altering your clothes means that your wardrobe will last longer and fit better. Doctoring your clothes is a snap with these easy to follow directions.
Handmade Artists and Designers
Handmade Artists and Designers. Features on handmade clothing, accessory and jewelry designers that make handmade fashion to a crafty new level.
Handmade Events and Fairs
From renaissance fairs to comic book conventions, there are plenty of places to interact with fellow handmade fashion enthusiasts. Browse this directory of events to find handmade goodies near you.
- Convention Costuming: See some of the best convention costumes and learn how to make your own quick convention costumes with these easy tutorials. These costume tutorials range from beginner to advanced techniques.
- Renaissance Festivals and Faires: Feathered hats, ornate gowns, and peasant rags. Learn how to dress like a pirate, gypsy or even the queen at a ren fest near you.
- Handmade Fashion Fairs: Independent designers showcase their items at these handmade fashion fairs across the world. Learn about the latest artisan fair schedules and events.
Fashion Photo Galleries
Handmade Fashion Photos. View handmade fashion photos in these galleries of diverse runway styles and homemade styles from talented independent artisans.
Crop tops aren’t the only thing that t-shirts can be transformed into. There are so many things a regular t-shirt can be turned into if you’re not content with simply modifying your basic tee into an awesome slashed and bedazzled one. If you put your thinking cap on, you’ll realize that there are a bunch of …
An ancient example of embroidery was among the treasures uncovered in the tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh, Tutankhamun. This hand-stitched masterpiece had survived thousands of years in a dry, dark tomb, proving the durability of the art form. Embroidery has come a long way since the advent of embroidery machines in the Industrial Revolution. Today, …
I had no idea embroidery was such a thing for the women here in Morocco. Mainly done on table cloths, napkins, bed pillows, and sheets. The embroidery I am enamored with is the geometric designs originally from Fez. It is also done by machine now, but the mind boggles at how this work is done …
Fingerless mittens and gloves are very popular these days, due to the many things that are difficult or impossible to do while wearing mittens or gloves. Fingerless gloves have been around for a long time. I remember using them when playing in a marching band when I was in high school. Fingerless mittens make it …
Steampunk Fashion Steampunk artists often make use of old mechanical watch parts to lend gears and cogs to work. Shining bronze metal composes much of steampunk jewelry, contrasting with the soft velvets and feathers of hats and jackets. Steampunk hats can take the form of pillbox hats, mini derby hats, tiny pinned-on hats and even …