Pajamas have been in existence since the Ottoman Empire. In fact, they were so desired by Europeans that visited this area, that they spread rapidly throughout Europe and were quickly incorporated into Western culture. The idea of wearing pajamas to bed did not become as widespread until the 20th century and in the years since, nightwear has become an essential staple for nighttime.
If you are looking for the best women’s pajamas or the best men’s sleepwear, then there is a plethora of options available for all genders. If you are looking to improve your sleep quality, then you should swap your comfortable t-shirt with some luxury sleepwear, as this will have a significant impact on your overall quality of sleep.
This is because it is basically impossible to sleep well if you are continually tossing and turning out of discomfort. The problem that most people overlook is the fact that their sleepwear may be contributing to their poor quality of sleep.
Thus, you should read on to discover how changing your sleepwear can drastically improve your quality of sleep and your lifestyle choices thereafter.
What Should I Wear To Bed?
The key to getting a good night’s sleep is comfort. If you are uncomfortable in your nightwear, then you need to change what you are wearing to bed. Some key things to take into consideration when dressing for bed include the following:
The Type of Pajamas You Are Wearing
Pajama types include sweatpants and t-shirts, shorts and tank tops, thermal underwear, oversized sleep shirts, nightgowns, boxers and gym shorts, footie pyjamas, and lingerie. However, not all of these are considered to be sleepwear and you should purchase some high quality sleepwear in order to improve your sleep quality significantly.
Fabrics to Consider
Wearing the following fabrics will help you to improve your sleep by proxy:
- Cotton: This is an incredibly breathable form of fabric that is soft and cooling. It is naturally a brilliant option for warmer summer nights. However, it does not do a great job at wicking away any moisture and thus, this material may become uncomfortable if you are experiencing night sweats.
- Silk: Silk is a more luxurious choice of fabric that is undoubtedly comfortable and soft. It is perfect for regulating your overall body temperature too. This fabric will definitely keep you warm on cooler nights and also cool you down on warmer nights. Thus, you get the best of both worlds when purchasing silk pajamas. However, if you are not a fan of slippery material, then you should avoid silk pajamas. They can also be expensive and require you to dry clean them due to the delicate nature of silk material.
- Linen: Linen pajamas are incredibly breathable and soft. This fabric also contains natural moisture-wicking properties which makes it perfect for those who get hot when sleeping. However, this material does wrinkle easily and linen is usually more expensive than cotton PJs.
- Flannel: If you are looking for the best option for winter nights, then you should purchase flannel PJs as these are guaranteed to keep you warm on cold nights. They are also breathable and soft. However, if you get hot during sleep, then these may be too hot for you.
- Wool: Wool is renowned for keeping you warm during periods of cold weather, however, it can also keep you cool and prevent you from becoming overheated. This is because it is naturally wicking, ensuring that you do not become too hot. These PJs are also incredibly soft to touch.
To conclude, the PJs that have been outlined in this article are perfect for ensuring that you have a great night sleep so long as you are choosing the right style of pajamas to suit your individual needs. Silk PJs are undoubtedly the best PJs on this list, however, they are expensive and require dry cleaning. Thus, most people choose cotton PJs as these are breathable and soft.
However, if you are not a fan of silk or cotton, there are a plethora of other materials listed in this article that make the best PJs. You should ensure that you are choosing PJs that have natural wicking propensities, as this will ensure that you are able to release any excess moisture that may build up as a result of night sweats. If you are someone that is prone to overheating, you should also take this into consideration when purchasing pajamas. I hope that you have found this article to be insightful and informative. Thank you for reading.