You can find harem pants patterns and tutorials online to make your own comfy harem pants. Websites like Etsy and SewGuide offer printable sewing patterns. They also provide step-by-step instructions for sewing harem pants.
Additionally, there are resources on Reddit. There are also blogs like Sparkly Belly and Happiest Camper.
They provide tutorials and free printable patterns for making harem pants. These resources offer a variety of styles.
They include Aladdin pants, fitted harem pants, and harem pants with side slits. You can choose the best pattern for your preferences.
These resources can help you create your own unique and comfortable harem pants. Whether you’re making them for casual wear or as a belly dance costume.
Read Also: Elevate your leather jacket look with the perfect shoes! Get styling tips now in our guide to the best footwear for women’s leather jackets.
What are Harem Pants?
Harem pants are loose, flowing pants with a dropped crotch. They have gathered fabric around the waist and legs. They are characterized by their comfort and roomy silhouette.
The origins of harem pants can be traced back to trousers worn in Middle Eastern countries. The word “harem” refers to separate living quarters. They’re reserved for wives and concubines. Women in these quarters wore traditional harem pants. The pants featured a high waistband and billowy legs.
Today, modern harem pants are worn as casual wear and have key features like:
- Loose, billowy fabric through the hips and thighs
- Dropped crotch seam 1-3 inches below the natural waistline
- Elastic or drawstring waistband to gather excess fabric
- Tapered or loose, flowing leg style
- Fabric bunched at the ankle or hemmed for a more fitted look
Harem pants provide comfort through their ample room in the hips and crotch. This allows free range of motion. The gathered waistband also eliminates restriction and creates a put-together silhouette.
Benefits of Wearing Harem Pants
Harem pants have remained popular through the years. This is thanks to the many benefits they offer.
- Comfort – The loose leg and dropped crotch seam allow for a roomy, relaxed fit. It feels less restrictive than jeans or trousers. The stretchy waistband also eliminates pinching or binding.
- Range of Motion – Harem pants have extra fabric in the hips and thighs. They enable free movement for activities like yoga, exercise, and dance. You won’t feel held back by your pants!
- Breathability –
- The lightweight, flowing fabrics commonly used for harem pants allow for maximum airflow. This keeps you cool and comfortable in warm weather.
- Flattering Silhouette – The loosely gathered waist helps camouflage problem areas around the hips and thighs. And when paired with a fitted top, harem pants can highlight your shape and curves.
- Fashionable Style – From streetwear to boho-chic, harem pants are on-trend. They offer a relaxed yet put-together look perfect for many occasions.
- Hides Figure Flaws – The loose legs hide imperfections or insecurities around the butt, thighs, or legs. You might feel self-conscious about them.
For unmatched comfort and effortless style, harem pants are a versatile wardrobe staple. Making your own allows you to customize the perfect pair.
See Also: Get the insider scoop on finding an affordable luxury Gucci bag without sacrificing style. Our guide reveals the cheapest Gucci bags that still deliver glamour.
How to Choose the Right Harem Pants Pattern
When sewing your own harem pants, it’s key to start with the right pattern. This will help you achieve the perfect fit and style. Here are tips for choosing a harem pants pattern:
- Consider Your Skill Level – Beginner sewers will want a basic pattern. It shouldn’t have too many pieces or complicated instructions. More advanced sewers can select patterns with details like pleats or pockets.
- Choose Based on Hip Measurement – Be sure to select your pattern size based on your hip measurement. Harem pants are designed with extra ease in the hip and thigh area.
- Elastic or Drawstring Waist – Decide if you want the comfort of an elastic waistband or the versatility of a drawstring waist. Many patterns offer both options.
- Tapered or Billowy Leg – For a more fitted ankle, choose a tapered leg pattern. Or go for a looser, billowy leg style for maximum flow.
- Pants Length – Most harem pants patterns include a full-length option. Some also have capri and ankle lengths.
- Additional Features – Consider front pleats, side pockets, side slits, or ankle cuffs if you want to add interest.
Choose a harem pants pattern that matches your skill level and design preferences. It will set you up for sewing success.
Tips for Sewing Your Own Harem Pants
Once you’ve selected the perfect harem pants pattern, follow these tips to sew your own at home:
- Choose Lightweight Fabrics – Billowy fabrics like rayon, linen, cotton voile, or silk work best. Avoid heavyweight fabrics that won’t drape well. Knits can also work for stretch.
- Sew Elastic Casing – Follow the instructions to sew channels for elastic at the waistband. This will cinch in the fullness. Use 1/4″ or 1/2″ elastic.
- Finish Raw Edges – Finish all raw edges with a zigzag stitch, overlock stitch, or serger to prevent fraying. This is especially important for loosely woven fabrics.
- Hem the Bottoms – A rolled hem finish looks best for gathering in the excess fabric at the ankles. Keep hems narrow, about 1/4″ to 1/2″.
- Baste First – Baste the crotch seam before sewing permanently. This ensures a comfortable fit. Rip out basting if needed for adjustments.
- Press as You Go – Press seam allowances open after stitching each seam. This keeps fabric smooth and helps seams lay nicely.
Use these sewing tips to create professional-looking harem pants. You’ll enjoy wearing them for years to come!
Best Fabric Choices for Harem Pants
The best fabric for making harem pants is lightweight, flexible, and gauzy. It allows for ease of movement and comfort during activities like dancing or walking.
Some recommended fabrics for harem pants include:
- Rayon – Lightweight and drapey, rayon comes in soft finishes like jersey, challis, or voile. It works beautifully for harem pants.
- Linen – Linen and linen blends have a lightly textured look and breathe well. They relax over time, perfect for billowy pants.
- Cotton Voile or Lawn – Sheer, lightweight cotton fabrics have a soft drape while remaining breathable.
- Silk – Luxurious silk or silk-like polyester creates flowy pants that feel amazing. Charmeuse, crepe, and habotai all drape well.
- Soft Knits – Jersey, interlock, microfiber and other knits work well by providing stretch and movement. Look for lightweight varieties.
- Rayon Challis – With a soft drape and flow, rayon challis comes in solids and prints to make chic harem pants.
- Linen Blends – When blended with rayon or cotton, linen becomes softer and lighter. It retains its natural fibers.
- Lightweight Denim – Soft, stretchy denim with some drape can be used to make jeans-inspired harem pants.
- Gauzy Cotton – Gauzy cotton is an excellent fabric choice for harem pants. It provides a lightweight and flexible material that feels loose. It moves well when walking and dancing.
- Satin – Satin is a great fabric choice for harem pants if you’re looking for a luxurious and refined look.
- Chiffon – Chiffon is another excellent fabric choice for harem pants. It is lightweight, breathable, and flowy.
- Georgette – Georgette is another excellent fabric choice for harem pants. It’s lightweight, breathable, and flowy.
- Jersey – Jersey is a versatile fabric choice for harem pants. It provides a comfortable and soft feel.
Stick to light, airy fabrics from about 4 oz to 7 oz for the best hang and comfort in harem pants.
These fabrics come in various forms. They include solid colors, prints, or embellished designs like sequins. When choosing a fabric for harem pants, consider the desired style.
Also consider the specific activity you plan to wear them for. Harem pants can be made in a wide range of fabrics. These include light cotton and medium-weight knits.
Examples are cotton jersey, cotton lycra, French terry, and ponte de roma. However, it’s best to avoid heavy fabrics for harem pants. They may be harder to gather around the waistband.
Harem Pants Pattern Recommendations
Here are some recommended harem pants patterns from top pattern companies:
- Simplicity 8389 – This popular pattern includes both elastic and adjustable drawstring waistband options. It also includes tapered and loose flowing legs. Good for beginners.
- McCall’s 6649 – With a very billowy, boho style, this pattern features a drapey crotch and wide, palazzo style legs. Ankle ties provide shape.
- Butterick 6582 – The pull-on elastic waistband and front pleat details give this pattern a modern feel. Tapered legs work well in knits or wovens.
- Itch to Stitch Hepburn Pants – Elegant wide leg version with front and back darts for shaping. Designed to combine comfort and polished style.
- Blanks Patterns Harem Pants – A modern take on harem pants, this pattern has a relaxed tapered leg and curved waistband seam. Beginner friendly.
- Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Harems – These harems come in capri, ankle and full lengths. Elastic and shirring at waist and hems define the shape.
- Made for Mermaids Paige Pants – With a bohemian vibe, these feature cropped legs with ankle ties and a smocked yoke waist.
You’ll find the perfect harem pants pattern for your unique taste and sewing skills. There are loads of style options.
Harem pants offer a comfy yet stylish look that can be dressed up or down seamlessly. Follow these tips for creating fashionable harem pants outfits:
- Pair with Tighter Fitted Tops – Balance the relaxed harem pants with a more fitted top. For example, a sleeveless blouse or form-fitting tee. This creates an attractive silhouette.
- Choose Shorter Fitted Jackets – Layering with a tailored moto jacket or cropped blazer keeps the proportions balanced. Go for above hip length.
- Add Flowy Layers on Top – For a head-to-toe boho vibe, pair harem pants with longer duster cardigans. Also try kimonos or caftans on top.
- Go for Heels or Wedges – Dress up harem pants for nighttime by pairing them with strappy heels or wedge sandals. Add some sparkle with jewelry.
- Stay Casual with Flats – For daytime, flat sandals, slip-on shoes or sneakers keep the look laidback.
- Cuff or Roll Ankles – Tailor the length by rolling up the hems once or twice to make them any length you want – cropped, capri or ankle grazing.
- Use Accessories Strategically – Add interest with layered necklaces. Stack bangle bracelets, wear oversized earrings, or a printed head scarf.
Harem pants can take you from lounging at home to walking city streets effortlessly. Some simple styling tricks make it happen.
Remember to keep the focus on the pants and not overwhelm the eye with too many prints. Harem pants are comfortable, versatile, and suitable for any body type. Add a pair to your wardrobe and get ready to elevate your casual look.
Harem pants are available in a variety of colors and prints. Solid colors like black, grey, brown, and indigo are popular choices for a classic look.
For a pop of color, bright and bold hues are recommended.
Olive green is a popular color for harem pants and can be paired with a white tee shirt.
You can also experiment with complementary colors. This will add contrast and visual interest to the outfit.
Neutral colors like beige or khaki can be paired with a white or black top for a timeless and elegant outfit.
Harem pants are versatile. They can be paired with a variety of tops and accessories. This depends on the occasion and personal style.
Sew Your Own Comfy Harem Pants
You can customize the fabric, length, pockets, and other details when you sew your own harem pants. This way, you can create the perfect pair.
Keep some simple patterns and sewing tips in mind. This way, you can tailor stylish and comfortable harem pants to your unique taste.
Making your own harem pants has benefits. You can get the ideal, drapey fit you love in fabrics you choose. You can also match them precisely to your height and preferred rise and leg width.
It takes time and sewing skills. But, the effort pays off. You’ll have harem pants you can’t wait to wear for any occasion.
These are handmade wardrobe staples. You’ll keep coming back to your favorite pair time and time again.
To sew your own comfy harem pants, you can follow these general steps:
- Choose the Right Fabric:
- Select a lightweight, flowing fabric such as cotton, silk, satin, chiffon, or jersey.
- Ensure that the fabric is loose and gauzy to allow for ease of movement.
- Take Measurements:
- Measure from your belt-line to the floor, double it, and add 20 cm (7.9 in) to determine the length of the fabric.
- Cutting and Sewing:
- Use your own shorts to get the right fit. Then, start cutting and sewing the fabric to create your harem pants.
- Consider using a printable pattern for harem pants. It makes the cutting process easier.
- Add Personal Touches:
- You can customize your harem pants. Add slits on the sides, elastic at the hem, or choose different prints and colors for the fabric.
- Finishing Touches:
- Ensure that the elastic at the hem is tight to prevent the slits from moving around.
These steps provide a basic overview of how to sew your own harem pants. For detailed instructions, you can refer to online tutorials and sewing patterns. They offer step-by-step guidance and visual demonstrations.
We hope this guide has equipped you with everything you need to start sewing harem pants. The pants will make you look and feel amazing.
Don’t be intimidated to try this project – with the right pattern and techniques, you can do it! Upgrade your closet with fun, fashionable harem pants you made yourself.
Ready to refresh your workout wear? Find the best performance fabrics for men’s gym shirts in our in-depth guide. Expert tips for moisture-wicking, stretch, and comfort – get the ideal gym shirt material for any workout.
Image Credits: Blufashion.com
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2018. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.