Shearling jackets have been around for decades and continue to remain a fashion staple, transcending time and trends. These jackets were originally designed for pilots during World War I to keep them warm at high altitudes. However, they quickly became popular among civilians due to their durability and ability to keep the wearer warm in harsh weather conditions. After all those years, shearling jackets are still quite popular amongst people all over the world. Online stores are now prevailing all over the world due to the increasing popularity of these jackets.
What is a Shearling Jacket?
Shearling jackets are made from the skin of a sheep or lamb that has been tanned with the wool left intact. The leather side of the skin is turned inside, and the wool provides insulation and warmth. Shearling jackets come in various styles and colors, making them versatile enough to wear for both casual and formal occasions.
The Popularity of Shearling Jackets
Shearling jackets were originally designed for pilots, but their popularity quickly spread to civilians, especially those who lived in cold climates. In the 1960s and 1970s, shearling jackets became a popular fashion item among celebrities and the general public. Stars such as Marlon Brando and Steve McQueen were often seen sporting these jackets, which further contributed to their popularity.
Today, shearling jackets are worn by people of all ages, genders, and walks of life. They have remained a timeless fashion item due to their durability, versatility, and ability to provide warmth in harsh weather conditions. Shearling jackets are available in various styles, including aviator jackets, biker jackets, bomber jackets, and more.
Shearling Jackets as Fashion Icons
Shearling jackets have become more than just a functional piece of clothing; they have become a fashion icon. Shearling jackets have been featured in numerous fashion shows, ad campaigns, and movies, which have helped cement their place in fashion history. Designers such as Gucci, Saint Laurent, and Prada have all incorporated shearling jackets into their collections.
Shearling jackets have also been a popular choice for fashion bloggers and influencers. They are often seen wearing shearling jackets paired with skinny jeans, boots, and a scarf. The combination of the ruggedness of the jacket and the chicness of the outfit creates a perfect balance, making shearling jackets a must-have for any fashion-conscious individual.
Styling Shearling Jackets
Shearling jackets are versatile and can be styled in various ways. They can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. Here are a few ways to style a shearling jacket:
- Casual: Pair a shearling jacket with a simple t-shirt, skinny jeans, and ankle boots. This outfit is perfect for running errands or meeting up with friends for coffee.
- Dressy: Wear a shearling jacket with a dress or skirt and knee-high boots. This outfit is perfect for a night out on the town or a special occasion.
- Classic: Pair a shearling jacket with a white shirt, black trousers, and loafers. This outfit is perfect for a business meeting or a job interview.
- Edgy: Pair a shearling jacket with ripped jeans, a graphic t-shirt, and combat boots. This outfit is perfect for a concert or a night out with friends.
Shearling Jackets Facts
Shearling jackets are made from processed lambskin, sheepskin, or pelt. The “shearing” process creates a uniform depth of the wool fibers for a uniform feel and look. The pelts are tanned with wool of uniform depth still on them, resulting in a heavy, soft, natural fleece material due to the thickness of the outer skin and the degree of fur on the inside, which is quite dense.
Explore the meticulous process behind the luxurious shearling coats by visiting this website.
The length of the sheep fur can be fairly long, but it is typically cropped short to about five centimeters or two inches. Shearling jackets gained popularity during World War I when pilots and military personnel began wearing them for their exceptional warmth.
Due to the high quality and uniqueness of shearling, coats, and garments are considered luxurious. Sheepskin and shearling are synonymous, and the outer must be sheepskin to be shearling on the inside.
Here are some facts about shearling jackets:
- Shearling jackets are made from processed lambskin, sheepskin, or pelt.
- The “shearing” process creates a uniform depth of the wool fibers for a uniform feel and look.
- Shearling jackets gained popularity during World War I when pilots and military personnel began wearing them for their exceptional warmth.
- Due to the high quality and uniqueness of shearling, coats, and garments are considered luxurious.
- Sheepskin and shearling are synonymous, and the outer must be sheepskin to be shearling on the inside.
Shearling jackets have come a long way since their humble beginnings as a functional piece of clothing for pilots. They have become a timeless fashion item that has stood the test of time. Shearling jackets are versatile, durable, and stylish, making them a must-have for any wardrobe. Whether dressed up or down, shearling jackets add an element of sophistication and edge to any outfit. It is no wonder that they have become a fashion icon and continue to remain a popular choice for people of all ages, genders, and walks of life.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.