I never really realized just how much I loved faux fur vests until a few weeks ago when I saw Lauren Conrad‘s shearling vest (shearling is a type of faux fur, too!) during her Runway Collection show at NYFW. I always loved vests in general—when I was younger, I owned all kinds of them. Plaid, puffy, menswear, cargo (I know, I’m sorry)—the vest world was my oyster, and yet, I never branched out to the world of faux fur. I wasn’t really much of a fur person in general, though. I thought it was reserved for the Rachel Zoe‘s of the world. All of that has changed now. I love faux fur vests, and you should too. Vests are huge for fall, you know.
There are lots of things to take into consideration when going for a faux fur vest. First of all, you really do want to make sure you’re getting a high-quality faux fur. If you don’t, you run the risk of feeling cheap and plastic-y, and while you may be advocating for animals by not wearing their fur, you’re certainly not doing yourself any favors by feeling like a fuzzy trash bag. Secondly, you MUST check the weather before you go out in a faux fur vest. Please don’t wear one if there’s even a chance of rain, for obvious reasons. And finally, styling a faux fur vest is a pretty big challenge for anyone. How do you wear something that makes such a statement without looking like you’ve just thrown up fashion? And is there a way to avoid that weird, shaved-arms gorilla look that a bad faux fur outfit can cause?
The answer is yes, my friends, and I’m here to show you how. For the purposes of this piece, I’ve selected Topshop‘s Shaggy Faux Fur Gilet ($125), simply because I thought it to be a good, subtle choice for faux fur newbies. Read on for four faux fur vest looks that anyone can pull off, even you!
How To Style A Faux Fur Vest – Keep It Casual
Even without the vest, a Chambray shirt ripped black jeans, and white sneakers or nude flats is one of my favorite fall outfits of all time. Throwing on a faux fur vest is basically your way of saying, “Yeah, I know what’s up, and also I’m ridiculously cool and everyone should fear my awesomeness but I’d totally be down to get a coffee with you.” Really, when you think about it, there’s nothing overwhelming about just throwing a vest over an already-solid outfit.
Get the look:
- Factory Classic Chambray Shirt (J.Crew Factory, $54.50)
- MOTO Black Ripped Leigh Jeans (Topshop, $70)
- KEDS Champion Original Sneakers (Lord & Taylor, $40)
- Bucket Bag (H&M, $30)
- Star & Moon Stacking Ring Set (Gilt, $25)
- FULL TILT The One Round Rainbow Sunglasses (Tilly’s $9.99)
For Date Night
I don’t really know what kind of dates you like to go on, but there’s no reason this isn’t totally appropriate for a dinner-and-drinks night. The romper is cute and date-friendly while still allowing you to show off your personal style, the Chelsea boots are a little bit more formal but still comfortable, and really, you can’t go wrong with layering necklaces. For those of you who aren’t into the clashing bag, that’s fine—I’ve always been into dissonant pieces, but I know it’s not for everyone (though if you give it a try just once, I promise you’ll start doing it all the time). Style your hair in some loose waves, and add a smokey eye and neutral lip to complete the look.
Get the look:
- Elena Romper (Tobi, $44)
- Black Suede Mix Heel Ankle Boots (River Island, $90)
- Pastel Envelope Clutch Bag (Simply Be, $19.95)
- BaubleBar ‘Gold Rush’ Layered Necklace (Nordstrom, $52)
- Urban Decay Naked Palette (Sephora, $54)
- Lancome L’Absolu Rouge in Coquette, similar (Ulta Beauty, $30.50)
Girl’s Night Out Faux Fur Vest
The best thing about girl’s nights out is that you can literally wear whatever you want and your friends kind of aren’t allowed to say anything about it. I have an edgier style than a lot of my friends, so I always love to take the opportunity to wear studs and bold lips, and an all-white outfit is a perfect base for a statement vest. Put your hair up in a messy ponytail or top knot and add a cat eye, and you’re good to go!
Get the look:
- Sheer Lace Boho Tank (Wet Seal, $14.95)
- Rag & Bone Capri Cropped Mid-Rise Skinny Jeans (The Outnet, $105)
- Black & Nude Patent Two-Tone Studded Amuse Pumps (Unique Vintage, $72)
- Rebecca Minkoff Front and Back Earrings (Nordstrom, $38)
- Laura Geller Iconic Baked Sculpting Lipstick in Big Apple Red (Beauty.com, $21)
Formal Faux Fur Vest
You can totally wear a faux fur vest to a formal event without looking like you’re trying too hard—it’s all about the proportions of your outfit and the accessories you choose. I’d suggest selecting an embellished dress, simply because it takes a lot of the pressure off of finding good add-ons; the dress is essentially doing all the heavy lifting. A simple pump and clutch are all you really need, some earrings and slim rings if that’s your thing, and a berry lip to keep things interesting.
Get the look:
- Rock & Religion Embellished Long-Sleeve Dress (ASOS, $68)
- Nine West Frolic Leather Pumps (Lord & Taylor, $89)
- Danielle Nicole Brooklynne Faux Leather Clutch (Gilt, $35)
- Aztec Drops in Clear (BaubleBar, $15)
- Rhinestone Midi Ring Set (Forever 21, $5.90)
- NARS Audacious Lipstick in Fanny (Beauty.com, $32)
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.