Following the joyous occasion of welcoming your new baby into the world, it’s common to gain some weight and lose some stamina. Your body has been through quite an ordeal and now has many adjustments to make before it’s back to normal again. While you’re looking forward to seeing your old clothes fit again, you don’t have time to wait while you look frumpy in maternity clothes or unflattering workout wear. These 5 fall wardrobe must-haves are perfect for the working mom who wants to look like her old self ASAP!
After you’ve had a baby, your body is going to look different. Your waistline will be different, your bust will be different, and you might even have some extra weight. That doesn’t mean you can’t still look fabulous, though! Here are five postpartum wardrobe must-haves that will help you look great this fall:
- Modest dresses from Sweet Salt such as the wrap dress. No matter what your shape, a wrap dress will help flatter and conceal it. The reason? It’s designed to lay flat across your body in a way that nothing else will. A wrap dress is also ideal for nursing mothers, as most of them are designed with pull-aside nursing panels or openings in them. They’re great with boots and they’ll go with anything else you have. Just be sure to wear a shaper underneath if you want a tighter fit!
- Cardigans can be dressed up or down – they’re easy to throw on over any outfit and make an otherwise plain top look cute or fancy. Plus, you can always pull one over when you need to nurse without flashing everyone at Starbucks. One final thing about cardigans – get them a size too big so they drape nicely and that way you don’t have to get self-conscious about your (still pregnant) belly.
- Leggings. Don’t underestimate the power of leggings! When paired with flats or ballet flats, they make a perfect comfy outfit for walking around town while running errands during those few weeks after having a baby where everything hurts anyway. You can find both ankle-length and full-length leggings; just be sure to check the sizing charts before buying to make sure you get the right length.
You’ll be spending a lot of time holding your baby, so you’ll want to make sure your clothes are comfortable and won’t add to your discomfort.
- Look for tops that have easy access. Whether it’s a button-down shirt or a dress with a nursing slit, you’ll want something that you can quickly and easily nurse in.
- Layer, layer, layer. Wearing layers will not only keep you warm but will also give you the option to nurse without having to completely remove your top.
- Choose darker colors and patterns. Stains are inevitable when it comes to nursing, so darker colors and patterns are more forgiving.
- Stick to comfortable fabrics.
- Using a baby carrier to feed for more convenience. Investing in a versatile baby carrier such as this one found at https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier makes feeding more convenient by providing privacy while your baby nurses. It also allows you to have both hands free should you need them.
We may not walk as much now that we’re moms or we may be the type of mom that loves to take her little one out for walks and there’s nothing better than having a shoe on hand that feels good on our feet! Other items to have on hand are:
- A supportive nursing bra. This is a must for any new mom. You will be spending a lot of time nursing and you want to make sure you have a bra that is comfortable and gives you the support you need.
- Pants with an elastic waistband or drawstring. The elastic in these pants makes it easier to adjust them, which is important after giving birth and recovering from childbirth.
- Yoga pants. You’ll spend most of your day lounging around so it’s nice to have comfy clothes on hand!
- A good fall jacket that you can enjoy walks with baby. Don’t forget to bundle baby up too!
Having a baby is a wonderful time that comes with lots of new challenges, including finding a postpartum wardrobe that makes you feel comfortable and stylish. These recommendations should help get you through your first fall season together.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.