What exactly is a shirtdress?
A shirtdress is a piece of clothing that looks like a button-down shirt but may actually be worn as a dress due to its longer length. Shirtdresses are also known as shirtwaist dresses. Shirtdresses are available in a wide variety of designs, patterns, and lengths, including maxi, mini, and midi hemlines. They are distinguished by the presence of cuffed sleeves, front buttons, a collar, and a breast pocket. Some shirtdresses are made of the same fabric as button-down shirts, such as denim or plaid. However, other t-shirts are made of materials that are considered to be more formal or elegant, such as silk, velvet, or chiffon.
The Proper Way to Accessorize a Shirt Dress
Over the years, I experimented with more casual shirt dresses, the kind that I could put on during the week or even when I went on vacation. This is a tried-and-true dress style that dates back to the 1930s and never goes out of fashion. It is simply one of those items that should be present in the closet of every person. In addition, because there are so many distinct iterations, you can easily select one that is tailored to your particular taste. There are options available, regardless of whether your style tends to be more preppy, modest, or edgy. To change a single garment into a variety of different looks, all you need are the appropriate accessories.
5 Different Ways to Wear a Shirtdress During the Day
These shirtdress ensembles are versatile enough to be worn for a wide range of daytime looks, from a relaxed lunch with friends to a day at the office.
- When it’s cold outside, you should wear tights or leggings. Wearing a pair of leggings or tights underneath a long-sleeve shirtdress will provide additional warmth when the temperature drops. You should use solid black tights or leggings with patterned or striped shirtdresses; however, you can experiment with other colors and designs for your tights or leggings when you wear solid-colored shirtdresses.
- Complement with a pair of white sneakers. For a laid-back look that’s perfect for the afternoon, pair a chambray or denim shirtdress with some white sneakers. Consider rolling up your sleeves to add a more laid-back vibe to your outfit. This easygoing shirtdress ensemble is great for running errands or meeting up with friends for lunch because of its versatility.
- Using fashion as a disguise As a light and airy summer wardrobe option, try donning a shirtdress over your swimwear as a cover-up. You can never go wrong with a classic beach cover-up look like a white shirtdress, but you can also have fun experimenting with different colors and patterns. If you want to look fresh and colorful this summer, you should think about wearing a shirtdress with pastel colors or a floral print. Stick to lightweight materials such as linen, cotton voile, or chiffon to increase the amount of air circulation in your clothing.
- Don a sport coat or a blazer. Because of their similarity to traditional button-down shirts, shirtdresses are also an excellent choice for a business casual attire. You can pair a blazer with a knee-length or midi shirtdress and finish the style with wedges or ankle boots. Alternatively, if you want to keep your legs covered and warm during the colder months, you can wear knee-high boots with your midi dress.
- Wear it as a layer that is open. Consider wearing this item as if it were a long cardigan instead. Remove the buttons from your shirtdress and layer it over a plain white T-shirt before donning skinny jeans and booties to complete the look. Because the material is cozy and comfortable, just like a sweater, a cotton shirtdress is a good choice to wear with this outfit design.
How to Wear a Shirtdress to Evening Events: 4 Different Outfit Ideas
These four ways to style a shirtdress for the evening will help you transform a basic dress into four sophisticated looks:
- Accentuate your look with jewelry that makes a statement. A standard black shirtdress can be easily elevated to a glamorous look by simply being accessorized with a singular piece of statement jewelry. You may create a more exposed neckline by leaving the top button of your shirtdress undone. Complement this look with a chunky necklace to take it to the next level. To spruce up a straightforward shirtdress, you may also accessorize it with a bracelet or a pair of earrings.
- Add heels and a belt. By accessorizing with heels, a shirtdress can be transformed into an evening outfit. Think about spicing up your look by donning a pair of heels in a vivid hue to add a dash of color. This sort of flowy dress has the potential to look boxy, so finish off this look by cinching your waist with a belt. In the fall and winter months, complete the look by adding a denim jacket.
- Add a shawl for an extra layer. Wrapping a shawl around your shoulders is a quick and easy way to spruce up a sleeveless shirtdress. Shawls are sophisticated garments that can be wrapped around the wearer’s upper body to enhance the look of an outfit. To make a bold fashion statement, try accessorizing with a patterned or colorful scarf or shawl.
- Equip yourself with a leather jacket. To make your ensemble look more put together, add a leather jacket. You can create contrast by wearing a black leather jacket over a white shirtdress, or you can go for a traditional evening look by wearing a leather jacket over a black maxi dress and pairing it with a leather jacket.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website's content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra's expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.