Personal care and hygiene are critical parts of how a guy projects his identity and confidence as a man. Of course, few things are more personal than your choice of underwear, loungewear and grooming supplies. These things can have a big impact on your skin, your facial hair and your general comfort in daily life, so it’s important to choose wisely.
However, with so many choices for personal care products out there, it’s not always easy to figure out which options will serve you best. So, if you’re not sure what to look for when it comes to underwear, loungewear or personal grooming, relax! This guide offers starting points for any guy who’s looking for more comfort and more performance from his personal products.
Under There: Why Men’s Underwear Matters
First, let’s talk about men’s underwear. Guys, if you’re wearing an old pair of undies that doesn’t provide the support and airflow to keep your nether regions comfortable, it’s time to stop shooting yourself in the — well, in a painful place. Tons of styles of men’s boxers, briefs, and undershirts are available that can provide a major step up in your quality of life.
What should you be looking for when it comes to men’s underwear?
- Support Pocket: Any guy knows that underwear without the right support can lead to a frustrating day of discomfort where you constantly feel the need to adjust yourself. That’s why a lot of guys look for strong front support in their underwear. Briefs and boxer briefs offer more support, often including a special sewn-in pocket, while boxers usually offer less.
- Moisture Wicking: If you’re dealing with excess moisture in the basement (and we’re not talking about your house), switching to moisture wicking underwear can make a huge difference. This specialized type of fabric pulls moisture away from your skin and helps it evaporate, which in turn reduces chafing and prevents excess oils from building up on your skin. Moisture wicking can also be a clutch feature on undershirts to help mitigate upper body sweat.
- Odor Protection: Did you know your underwear can fight funky odors all by itself? It’s true! Some men’s underwear now comes with a built-in antimicrobial finish that prevents odor-causing bacteria from growing, so your whole body can have a more pleasant smell all day.
- Fly Style: The fly, or the front opening in your underwear that lets you use the bathroom, comes in many different styles. The difference between them largely comes down to personal preference. Some guys prefer a fly with buttons, but others find these inconvenient and like a traditional flap-style fly better. A few underwear companies now even make flyless underwear for men who prefer to do without. If your fly has been annoying you lately, try a different style!
Elevated Leisure: The Value of Loungewear
Loungewear, also sometimes known as athleisure clothing, is a broad category that covers clothing that’s appropriate for chilling at home, making quick trips out or even getting a workout in. It’s a little more dressed-up than men’s pajamas, and it’s designed for maximum comfort and versatility. These days, you very well might spend more time in your loungewear than in business casual, especially if you’re one of the many people working from home or on a hybrid schedule.
With loungewear forming an increasingly important part of people’s lives, it stands to reason that you should look for the good stuff! If you’re searching for loungewear that will look and feel great on your body, these are some traits to seek out:
- Comfort: Look for soft and flexible fabrics that are easy to wear around the house. Lightweight cotton, cotton blends, and knit fabrics are ideal for their breathability and flexibility, and a brushed finish can crank up the comfort even more. Consider seasonal comfort, too. If you live in an area with strong seasons, you might want lighter fabrics in summer and heavier ones in winter.
- Visual Appeal: Today, there are more loungewear colors and designs available than ever, from classic patterns to camo to tie-dye and beyond. The rise of athleisure has also created a lot of new wardrobe staples. Jogger pants, for example, are a more athletic and stylish take on the classic sweatpants, while Henley t-shirts combine a classier look to the comfort and coolness of a pajama shirt.
- Layering: Loungewear can be perfect for layering, so think about grabbing some for comfy seasonal outfits that you can adjust as needed. For example, a light and comfy Henley t-shirt or long sleeve tee is excellent for layering in colder weather when combined with light outerwear like a hoodie.
Take Care: Grooming Products for Men
Finally, there’s the always-relevant issue of men’s grooming products. Making some relatively small changes to your grooming routine can add a lot of polish to your personal presentation. What’s more, it can be genuinely beneficial to your personal health, especially when it comes to your skin and hair.
These men’s grooming products each play a key part in taking your personal hygiene to the next level:
- Body Wash: A body wash that works for your skin is one of the most important parts of a man’s personal care arsenal. For best results, check to make sure it’s recommended for your skin type.
- Shampoo: Drop the all-in-one shampoo/body wash and get a real shampoo for men, which will help give your hair a shine and volume that all-in-one products can’t match.
- Aftershave: These gentle balms and gels cool your skin after a shave. Note that the many different types of aftershaves can work differently for different skin types.
- Styling Balm/Gel: Tons of different hair styling products for men are available, with different levels of hold and shine, so try out some different options and see which you like.
- Moisturizer: There’s no need for men to walk around with dry skin — get yourself a great moisturizer and realize how awesome soft, moisturized skin can be!
- Beard/Mustache Oil: Maintaining your facial hair properly is a must, so pick up some beard and mustache oil that will help keep it soft.
- Exfoliator: Make sure that you’re using an exfoliating sponge or washcloth a few times a week to remove dead skin. You’ll love the healthier and clearer skin that results!
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.