Denim vests are a classic wardrobe staple, much like their longer-armed sisters, denim jackets. A good denim vest can be worn and styled in so many different ways. They’re perfect for the warmer weather in the summer when layering can be tricky because you don’t want to wear anything that will make you hot. They’ve also been around forever, and will probably never go out of style.
I love denim vests because you can basically throw them over anything and instantly make an outfit more interesting. It’s definitely something you want in your closet for the summer and beyond – you can layer them over long-sleeves or sweatshirts in the fall and winter to stay cozy. But what are the best ways to style your vest? Here are 20 style tips on how to wear denim vests. You’re welcome!
1. Denim vests look fresh and cute with colorful pants, like these mint green ones. Add a fedora and wedges for a perfect summer look.
2. Make a crop top or bandeau daytime appropriate by wearing it with high-waisted shorts or pants, and layering with a denim vest.
3. A plain tee and jeans are normally pretty boring… spice it up by adding a printed scarf and denim vest. Instant oomph!
4. Balance out wide-leg pants with a crop top to show a little skin… and layer with a denim vest to make it work for every day.
5. I love the mix of denim and black, especially a vest over a cute dress. Add colorful shoes for a fun pop of color.
6. For a classic, all-American look, wear your vest over a striped dress.
7. Make a tight skirt daytime appropriate and casual by adding a denim vest. It’s the perfect easy summer outfit.
8. This look is awesome. Layer your vest over a graphic tee and printed skirt. Add booties instead of sandals for a more chic look.
9. Break up an all-black ensemble with a light denim vest. So glam.
10. You can also wear white denim vests. They look great paired with floral sundresses.
11. For the cooler weather, you can wear your vest over a cozy sweater. I love this light wash.
12. To glam up your vest a little, wear it with a statement necklace and leather shorts.
13. Don’t be afraid to wear denim-on-denim! To do it right, make sure you’re wearing two obviously different washes.
14. A denim vest over a maxi skirt is so cute—the end of the story.
15. All three of these ideas are great. A vest is a nice way to break up a jumpsuit or romper. Buttoning up your vest, so it acts as a top is really unique and fresh. And wearing it with a sweater and tights in the winter is perfect.
16. A super-easy way to wear your denim vest is to just layer it over a printed dress: Bam – instant cute outfit.
17. For a more boho look, wear your vest over a white lace dress.
18. A great look for fall and winter is to wear your vest over a hoodie. A lot of brands actually make jean jackets with sweatshirt sleeves to recreate this look, but I think it’s best when you do it on your own.
19. Wear it over a maxi dress. This literally could not be easier.
20. How cute is this? I love a denim vest with printed pants and a statement necklace.
Which of these looks is your favorite? How do you wear your denim vest? What kind of style tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!