If you’re seeking advice on how to dress to attract a man, remember that personal style and comfort are key. While different individuals have different preferences, here are some general tips:
- Long and Lustrous Hair: Always keep your hair long and flowing, and avoid tying it up.
- Show a Little Skin: Specifically, it’s suggested to reveal your legs.
- Dainty and Delicate Footwear: Choose shoes that are feminine and graceful.
- Accentuate the Waist: Make sure to dress in a way that highlights your waist.
- Pleasant Facial Expression: Maintain a friendly and pleasant expression on your face at all times.
- Confidence in Your Style: Wear clothes that make you feel confident and comfortable. Confidence is inherently attractive.
- Fit and Flattering: Choose outfits that fit well and flatter your body shape.
- Personal Grooming: Pay attention to personal grooming; a neat and well-groomed appearance is often appealing.
- Sense of Individuality: Express your personality through your clothing. Unique style can be very attractive.
- Appropriate for the Occasion: Dress suitably for the setting or event you are attending.
It’s important to dress for yourself first and foremost. Feeling good in what you’re wearing often makes you look attractive. Being true to yourself also helps.
How to Dress to Attract a Man: 10 Alluring Style Tips
Dressing to catch the eye of a man you’re interested in takes strategy. Unlike women, who notice a man’s smile, humor, and persona, men tend to be more visual. They zero in on your appearance as their first impression.
Luckily, attracting male attention doesn’t require drastic measures like plastic surgery. You don’t have to squeeze into uncomfortably tight clothes.
By understanding basic style and beauty tricks, you can subtly accentuate your best assets. It will make heads turn. This comprehensive guide covers all the tips and tricks you need to attract men through your wardrobe and presentation.
Understanding What Men Find Attractive
Research consistently shows that men prioritize physical appearance when assessing a potential partner. Some key points:
- Men are visual creatures. Studies reveal that men make judgment calls about women’s attractiveness within the first few seconds of seeing them. They base these judgments almost solely on their looks. They notice hair, makeup, clothing, smile, and body proportions well before anything else.
- Men care about signals of health and fertility. On a primal level, men seek partners presenting cues of health, youth, and fertility. This translates to a preference for full lips, glossy hair, smooth skin, hourglass curves, and toned physiques. The preference is for physiques that are not overly muscular.
- Men appreciate women who take care of themselves. Signs that a woman puts effort into her diet, fitness, hygiene, and overall presentation is attractive to men. It indicates self-confidence and subtly conveys you carry good genes worth passing on.
- Men are visually stimulated by femininity. Flowing hair, shapely hips, full breasts and delicate facial features tap into men’s instinctive attraction to overt displays of femininity.
Men often judge women based on their looks at first. Understanding this tendency can feel disheartening. But viewed through a strategic lens, it hands women an advantage. By updating your wardrobe and beauty practices, you can enhance your physical assets. This can help you catch – and keep – a man’s attention.
Emphasizing Your Feminine Features
Most heterosexual men are drawn to distinctly feminine features. Why not play up your assets? These simple styling tricks highlight your innate womanly traits. They do so in an eye-catching yet tasteful way.
Flatter your figure. Choose silhouettes that highlight your waist and elongate your legs. Opt for v-neck tops over crew necks. Wrap dresses and tops with ruching at the waist create curves on any body type. Steer clear of boxy cuts that hide your shape.
Show some skin – but not too much. An exposed collarbone, open back, or slit on a midi skirt add allure without revealing too much. Sheer fabrics and peek-a-boo cutouts also qualify as sexy reveals. But avoid tiny hemlines or super low-cut tops, which can look desperate.
Pick the right undergarments. Select a bra that lifts and accentuates your breasts. Seamless panties prevent panty lines under tight clothing. Shapewear smooths your figure under dresses and form-fitting pieces. For maximum comfort, invest in properly fitted styles.
Strategically highlight your legs. Pencil skirts, flared hems, and high heels visually lengthen your legs. During cooler months, opaque black tights and over-the-knee boots draw the eye. Just be sure you can walk comfortably – wobbling on painfully high heels just looks desperate.
Play with your hair. Wear your hair down in soft, touchable curls or waves. Flirtatious flips add bounce and movement. When your tresses frame your face in a feminine style, it’s guaranteed to catch his eye.
Apply makeup to enhance your features. A touch of mascara and sheer pink lip gloss makes your eyes pop. It also makes your pout look kissable, without going overboard. Blush sweeps atop the cheekbones, and well-groomed brows frame the face. The overall effect looks natural yet alluring.
Choosing Colors Strategically
Color psychology indicates that certain hues project romance, passion, and intrigue in a subconscious way. Leverage these colors to dial up your powers of attraction:
- Red – This bold, passionate shade conveys confidence. Wear red when you want attention. Red dresses turn heads, while a flash of red lipstick or heels stands out in a crowd.
- Pink – Feminine and flirtatious, pink telegraphs playfulness, warmth, and approachability. Pastel pinks work for daytime; opt for fuchsia or magenta at night.
- Black – Universally elegant and slimming, black also gives off an air of mystery. Little black dresses are forever in style for a night out.
- White – Crisp, fresh, and youthful, white appears innocent yet alluring. White button-down shirts and sundresses showcase your sun-kissed glow.
- Cream/beige – Sophisticated neutrals complement most complexions. Pair with metallics or rich tones as a base for countless outfits.
- Purple – Associated with luxury and elegance, purple packs a romantic punch. Light pastel shades work for day, jewel tones shine at night.
Stay away from unflattering greens, oranges, or neons, which can drain your complexion. Once you’ve turned heads with strategic colors, your confidence and charm keep his interest. Once you start conversing.
Selecting the Right Silhouettes
The lines and proportions of your clothing influence how flatteringly it drapes on your frame. Seek out these silhouettes to highlight your best assets:
- Pencil skirts – Slim-fitting and versatile, pencil skirts gracefully hug your curves. Go just above or below the knee.
- A-line skirts/dresses – A-line silhouettes are fitted at the top and gently flared at the bottom. They accentuate your waist, then kick out to showcase legs.
- Wrap styles – Tops or dresses that wrap and tie at the waist minimizes problem areas. The faux wrap effect works similarly.
- Peplum – Peplum tops and jackets nip the waist then flare out to mask wider hips. Ruffles and flounces do the same.
- Maxi dresses/skirts – Long and flowy with high slits, maxis reveal legs and sway with your movements.
- Bodycon – Super snug styles underscore every curve. Reserve for date nights when you want to ooze sex appeal.
Stay away from boxy, oversized, or baggy cuts that obscure your feminine shape. Seek tailored clothes that follow your silhouette. Above all, fabrics should skim over your body, not pull or constrain.
Related: Discover flattering styles tailored to your unique body shape! This guide shares tips to accentuate your best assets as a plus-size pear, apple, hourglass or rectangle. Read now for confidence-boosting outfit ideas.
Drawing Attention to Your Legs
Your gams deserve to be shown off! Long, toned legs catch attention, convey youthfulness, and ooze sensuality.
- Try miniskirts and shorts. Flaunt those stems! Just beware ultra-short lengths, which can look desperate for male validation. Aim for mid-thigh length.
- Wear high heels. The higher the heels, the better your legs look. But avoid teetering on dangerously high stilettos. Opt for something you can walk in confidently.
- Try over-the-knee boots. Sexy yet elegant, OTK boots slim your legs while showing the right amount of skin. Pair with minidresses or short skirts.
- Sheer tights add intrigue. Black opaque tights slim and elongate. Sheer nude or black tights under dresses/skirts offer a subtle sexy reveal.
- Try slit midi skirts/dresses. Subtly show some leg with slits in otherwise demure below-the-knee lengths. Crossing and uncrossing your legs amps up the flash factor.
Pro tip: Apply a touch of shimmer lotion to exposed legs pre-date for an eye-catching glow. Just don’t overdo the glitter.
Accessorizing for Added Interest
The right accessories act as eye candy, giving men something to focus on. Take advantage of these alluring accents:
Statement jewelry draws the eye. An oversized pendant necklace, dangly chandelier earrings, or stacked bangles give him details to admire. Opt for metallics, stones, pearls, or pendant shapes with movement.
Pop of color with a handbag. Carry a small, colorful clutch or crossbody bag. It adds a jolt of color against an otherwise neutral outfit.
Scarves soften an outfit. Drape a silk scarf around your neck or weave through belt loops. The fluid fabric moves in an alluring way.
Caps and hats inject personality. Try a wide-brimmed sunhat, structured fedora, or baseball cap for casual flair.
Sunglasses convey mystery. Go for cat-eye, angular Wayfarer, or retro round styles. Oversized shades hide your gaze.
Cute socks or tights show quirkiness. Bold stripes, fun patterns, or cheeky sayings on your feet prove you’ve got personality.
Keeping Makeup and Hair On Point
An appealing hairstyle and tasteful makeup elevate your look. Follow these tips:
Play up your best features. Apply eyeshadow and liner to make eyes pop. Swipe highlighter above cheekbones to add definition. Use lip colors that enhance your skin tone.
Focus on either lips or eyes. Bold lips and dramatic eyes compete. Opt for one focal point and keep everything else subtle.
Avoid caked-on foundation or harsh contouring. Sheer, dewy base makeup looks most natural. Blend so no harsh lines are visible.
Curl your lashes. Even minimal makeup looks polished with curled lashes. Apply waterproof mascara so it lasts through any date activities.
Style your hair in soft waves or curls. Touchable, textured locks are feminine and alluring on long or short hair. Increase volume at the crown for lift.
Highlight your tresses. Subtle ombre or lighter face-framing highlights around the face brighten up your complexion.
Flaunt a signature scent. Wear perfume on pulse points like the wrists, neck, and décolletage. Select lighter, fruitier fragrances for daytime; musky, deeper scents for evening. Apply sparingly so the scent intrigues without overwhelming.
Owning Your Look with Confidence
You can wear the trendiest outfit but still turn off men if you exude self-consciousness. Embrace these tips to take your look to the next level:
- Make eye contact. Lift your chin, relax your shoulders, and confidently meet his gaze. A smile naturally follows.
- Sit and stand tall. Good posture conveys poise and self-assurance. Shoulders back, spine aligned, chin parallel to the floor.
- Walk smoothly in heels. Practice walking gracefully in heels of any height. Take normal strides, keep your head high, and shoulders back.
- Perfect your entrance. Enter a room with purpose and pause to subtly scan it. Lock eyes with him briefly before continuing on your way.
- Speak clearly and laugh freely. Relax your vocal inflections, make jokes, and don’t be afraid to laugh out loud. A genuine smile puts men at ease.
- Exude approachability. Display open body language and warmth. Lean in to chat, lightly touch his arm when appropriate, and give compliments.
The more comfortable you feel in your own skin, the more attracted men will be. Authentic confidence eclipses any imperfections.
Research suggests that our clothing choices can reflect our personality traits and influence our self-perception.
Finding Your Personal Style
When seeking your signature look, resist the temptation to reinvent yourself. The key lies in identifying styles that allow you to shine as your best self.
- Take inspiration from fashion icons with similar body types or personality traits. Note what you admire.
- Make a mood board of outfits, fabric swatches, and accessories you love. Look for a cohesive aesthetic linking them together.
- Experiment with new pieces. Try on various cuts, silhouettes, and styles outside your norm. Pay attention to what feels like an extension of your essence.
- Determine your color palette. Drape different colored fabrics near your face and see which bring out your eyes and glow. Lean into those shades.
- Tailor pieces for an ideal fit. Well-fitting clothing suits you better than straight off the rack. Find a talented seamstress to tweak garments to your proportions.
When seeking feedback from friends or a stylist, make it clear you want honest opinions about what works for you. Tune out input stemming from their personal taste.
Dressing Appropriately for the Occasion
The setting of your date provides clues for what to wear. Some guidelines:
- Casual day date: Opt for dark jeans, tailored shorts, or a casual sundress. Pair with sandals or sneakers. Show personality via prints, patterns, or accessories.
- Dinner date: Cocktail dresses, pencil skirts, or slim blouses work well. Heels dress up jeans or slacks. Bring a dressy coat or wrap.
- Active date: Leggings, joggers, or shorts you can move in. Bring hair ties and touch-up items in case you get sweaty.
- Formal event: Long gowns, cocktail dresses, or dressy separates like a velvet skirt suit. Stilettos or strappy heels fit the posh aesthetic.
- Outdoor date: Button-down shirts, sundresses, or shorts keep you cool. Opt for flat sandals or wedges you can walk in. Big sunglasses, hats, and anti-UV clothing help in the sun.
Think date-friendly for fabrics that won’t wrinkle easily. Bring a few backup items like a scarf or change of shoes in case you need to modify your look.
Following Trends Selectively
Runway trends serve as a source of inspiration, but not every look works for everyday dating. Avoid these common mistakes:
- Don’t wear trends just because they’re on-trend. Make sure cuts, fabrics, colors and styles align with your body type and personal taste before investing.
- Don’t try to squeeze into sizes too small. Ill-fitting clothes straining at the seams are never attractive. Embrace your true size.
- Don’t succumb to fast fashion. Cheaply made fast fashion falls apart quickly. Build a wardrobe around well-made staples and accessorize with trends.
- Don’t over-accessorize. Pile on too many bold accessories and details and the overall look falls apart. Less is more.
- Don’t break the bank chasing every trend. Set a budget for new buys each season. Shop sample sales or resale shops for high-end at lower prices.
When navigating trends, identify a few complementary pieces. Mix them into your existing wardrobe. Update accessories and hair/makeup to keep looks fresh. Avoid totally reinventing your style.
See Also: Get ahead of next year’s trends! This essential fashion guide reveals upcoming styles and expert tips to future-proof your wardrobe for 2024 and beyond.
Investing in Quality Over Quantity
A capsule wardrobe of versatile high-quality pieces beats a bulging closet of cheap, ill-fitting items. Seek out:
- Natural fabrics like cotton, linen, silk, wool, and leather. They breath better, drape beautifully, and last for years.
- Expert tailoring. Clean lines, strong seams, and a precision fit distinguish quality garments. Smooth fabrics hang properly and don’t gap.
- Well-constructed shoes. Sturdy soles and leather uppers hold their shape better through wear. Padding cushions your feet.
- Fine knits. High thread counts equal softer materials less prone to pilling. Natural fibers have more give.
- Reinforced stress points. Quality clothing has extra stitching at the sides, hems, buttons, and pocket edges. This prevents tearing.
- Detailed embellishments. Delicate beading, ornate embroidery, and hardware shouldn’t easily snag or shed sequins with normal wear.
Invest in a few beloved items you will wear frequently. Do not buy bucketloads of cheaply made goods. Take proper care and your quality pieces last exponentially longer.
Cultivating an Alluring Sense of Mystery
As the saying goes, leave something to the imagination. A subtle, intentional touch of modesty makes men curious to uncover more.
- Show skin strategically. A slit in a maxi skirt or open back reveals a peek of skin without baring all. Sheer panels, cut-outs, strappy details and plunging necklines tease rather than expose.
- Keep tattoos and piercings minimal. A few well-placed tattoos or piercings intrigue. Overdoing it screams desperation for attention.
- Don’t spill your whole life story upfront. Maintain some mystery on early dates so he’s eager to get to know you better over subsequent outings.
- Make him work a bit for your full attention. Taking a quick call or stepping away briefly for a minute builds his interest. When you return to give him your focus, he is more interested.
- Limit social media posts. Share a taste of your fabulous life on social media, but keep some experiences private. Let him learn about them organically through dating you.
The allure of the unknown and subtle glimpses of skin or bits of information about you compel him to desire more.
Finding Inspiration from Fashion Icons
Icons like Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, and Jackie Kennedy Onassis developed signature styles. People still copy their styles today. Study what made their looks magical:
- Audrey Hepburn – Ultra feminine silhouettes emphasized her delicate frame. Tailored silhouettes in black, white, and neutrals became her palette. Timelessly elegant.
- Marilyn Monroe – Silky, curve-hugging dresses highlighted her voluptuous figure. Red lips, tousled blond waves, and a breathy voice amplified her sensuality.
- Grace Kelly – The epitome of classic sophistication. She favored ladylike ensembles like button-down shirts, gowns with gloves, and feminine suits.
- Jane Birkin – Breezy dresses and cropped pants captured her French-girl je ne sais quoi. Natural beauty and relaxed elegance defined her style.
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis – Tailored skirt suits and sheath dresses in bright colors and prints channeled a poised, wealthy aesthetic. Large sunglasses added mystery.
- Brigitte Bardot – The French screen siren oozed bombshell appeal in nipped-waist, full-skirted dresses. Mussed updos, dark eyeliner, and nude lips completed her come-hither look.
- Twiggy – The androgynous mod style personified the look of the swinging Sixties. It had a heavy fringe, a stick-thin build, and doe eyes.
These icons offer inspiration for blending femininity with confidence. They also offer a dash of risk-taking flair. Their personal styles suit their eras. Study their aesthetics, then develop looks aligning with your own essence.
Building Confidence from Within
No outfit empowers you more than self-confidence. Focus less on dressing to impress men, and more on celebrating what makes you radiant.
- Wear outfits that make YOU feel gorgeous. Please yourself above all else, and let your inner glow attract men organically.
- Invest in your health. Drink lots of water, eat nourishing foods, exercise, and get sufficient sleep. This will boost natural beauty.
- Pamper yourself. Set aside time for self-care. For example, take long baths. Use deep conditioning hair masks. Get manicures and pedicures. Get massages. Or meditate.
- Do activities you love. Engage your passions. Develop your talents. Pursue hobbies that light you up from the inside.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. Nurture relationships with those who build you up and make you feel accepted.
When you exude self-love and joy, it’s contagious. There’s nothing more irresistibly attractive than a woman who happily loves being herself.
Dressing to attract a man can be subjective. It largely depends on individual preferences. Remember, these are general tips and may not apply to everyone. It’s important to dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable and confident. This will naturally make you more attractive.
Did you find this guide on how to dress to attract a man helpful? We’d love to hear your thoughts! Share your own experience. What clothing, styles, and beauty tricks have worked to catch men’s eyes? Your tips can help other readers put their best look forward. Let us know in the comments!
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2018. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.