Why Need Backup Your Computer?
The data backup itself is mainly to prevent some accidents, such as: hardware failure of personal computer or server, human error operation and other situations. Once the accident happens, you can restore the needed data from the backup.
According to some users’ feedback, they have experienced the pain of data loss. For many office workers, especially those who work in IT, data backup is relatively more important. Even if the network security is complete, it is inevitable that there will be hardware errors or hacker attacks, or even human errors.
Overview of Different Windows Backup Tools
I believe many users know that Windows computers have their own backup tools – File History and Backupper and Restore (Windows 7). Both of these tools can help you backup important files on your computer. But both tools have their limitations, which is why many users want to find a free backup software. We can start with a brief look at the basic information of the three:
- File History: It can automatically create backups of files stored in the library (including users participating in home groups) to different storage devices, such as external hard drives or network shares, and the default backup method is incremental backup. You can add additional folders to be backed up or exclude certain folders. This feature was added in Windows 8 and later versions.
- Backup and Restore (Windows 7): You can use it to create system image backups as well as file/folder backups. You are able to restore your system and personal data from previously created backups.
- AOMEI Backupper Standard: It helps users to backup their systems, disks, partitions or files according to their needs. Besides backup function, it has clone, synchronize, restore, etc. You can use it to clone hard drive.
What’s the Best Backup Software for All Windows PCs?
To make it easier for you to pick the best backup software, I will compare the three backup tools mentioned above in terms of backup content, backup destination, and recovery. You can check their differences in the chart below.
|File History||Backup and Restore (Windows 7)||AOMEI Backupper Standard|
|Backup Contents||Back up your desktop, documents, music, photos and videos, and other files in the user’s folder. (Default is once per hour)||Backup the system, the entire drive and the files in the user folder. Creating a system repair CD is also supported.||Back up your system, HDD/SSD/USB drive, partition or files as you need.|
|Backup Destination||Supports external hard drives, home networks, but not internal drives or cloud drives.||Internal/external hard drives are supported, as well as network locations. Cloud drives are also not supported.||Support for internal/external hard drives, USB flash drives, network locations, cloud drives, etc.|
|Recovery||Recover lost, corrupted or deleted files, or restore previous versions of your files.||Restore the system image or restore the files to a backup version of the date you selected.||Restore your computer to an earlier date. Recover corrupted hard drives or lost files, etc.|
If you want to backup only the files in your user folder, you can choose the File History tool that comes with Windows. If you want to protect your files while protecting your system, Backup and Restore will help you do that. If you want an all-in-one backup tool that can meet all your needs in different situations, then AOMEI Backupper Standard is worth a try. And I will describe the detailed steps below.
Detailed Steps to Backup Computer with AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper Standard is the best backup software that supports all Windows systems, including Windows 11, 10, 8.1/8, 7, Vista and XP (32/64-bit), etc. It supports backup to internal or external hard drives, USB flash drives, cloud drives, network locations and NAS devices. Besides, you can enjoy the following advantages in all backup types.
- Scheduled Backup: You can create backups at different frequencies, for example, daily, weekly, monthly. This allows you to create an automated Windows 10 backup task to avoid repetitive operations.
- Backup Scheme: This saves disk space and improves backup efficiency. By default, the software runs incremental backups after the first full backup, backing up only files that have changed since the last backup.
If you are trying this software for the first time, you can refer to the following illustrated steps to learn how to protect your computer with the best backup software.
- Download AOMEI Backupper Standard on your computer and launch it. Click Backup -> System Backup on the main interface.
- By default, the desired system partition is selected. Select the destination path for storing backup files.
- Confirm the operation and click Start Backup.
Options: You can enable email notifications, choose the compression level for backup image files, and select Intelligent Sector Backup or Sector-by-Sector Backup.
This article provides you with the best backup software and a detailed tutorial on how to use it. You can easily use it to protect your computer data as well as your system. Unlike File History and Backup and Restore, it supports you to backup your computer to the cloud. The advantages of backing up to the cloud are obvious, data is less likely to be lost and easy to restore. Why hesitate? Download it and try it!