Curtains can have a very significant impact on the feel of a space. When they’re fresh and clean, they can brighten a room up, but when they’re tired, dirty and worn, they can detract from an otherwise lovely environment.
Knowing when it’s time to replace your curtains can be a tricky task, and there are a variety of factors to consider. Here, we explore a few simple signs that it may be time to replace your curtains.
- Fading or discolouration: Over time, curtains can become faded or discoloured, due to exposure to sunlight and other environmental factors, such as dirty hands opening and closing them on a daily basis. If your curtains have lost their original colour, or have become yellowed by the sun, it might be time to replace them.
- Stains or odours: Curtains are often stained, from spills or other accidents, or they can develop musty odours, due to exposure to dampness, or other smells like dirty pets. If they have stains or odours, that simply cannot be removed by cleaning them, you may want to consider getting new, fresh curtains.
- Wear and tear: Window coverings can become worn or frayed over time, simply due to regular use. If your window coverings have holes, tears, or other significant signs of wear and tear, it may be time to replace your curtains, and choose a new window covering.
- Style changes: Your personal taste and style can change over time, and curtains that were once your absolute favourite may simply no longer fit with the current look you’re trying to achieve. If you find that the curtains in your home match your decor or personal style, it’s likely a good idea to get something fresh.
- Functionality: If your curtains are no longer providing the level of privacy or light control that you need, and they’re in a room where you value privacy and optimum lighting conditions, it’s probably a good time to upgrade.
- Energy efficiency: With heating bills at an all-time high, if your curtains aren’t energy-efficient and your energy bills are high, it may be time to replace them with thermally insulated curtains, which can help to reduce your energy costs.
- Size mismatch: If your curtains are too long or too short, or if they no longer fit your windows properly, it’s a good idea to get some that fit properly – both for aesthetic reasons, but also to retain heat more effectively.
- Hardware issues: If the rods, rings, or other hardware that holds your curtains in place are damaged or worn, a new set of curtains, or at least new fixings, will make your life a lot easier.
As you can see, there is a wide range of different reasons why you might want to change your curtains, from fading and discolouration to energy efficiency. There are heaps of online stores to source replacements from, with retailers such as Woodyatt Curtains offering quality items at a fraction of high street retail prices. You don’t have to do every room in the house at the same time either – try out a look, and if you like it, you can apply it to other spaces as well.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website's content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra's expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.