College students are returning to class, but dorm rooms aren’t exactly the cleanest or most sanitary living quarters in the world, and staying healthy is important to succeeding in school. Healthy space designer Robin Wilson is president of Robin Wilson Home in New York City and one of the pioneers of the eco-friendly movement. As the ambassador to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, and the spokesperson for consumer giant Panasonic’s line of products for the home, she offers these healthy dorm rooms must-haves. They’re all so easy to find at your local store and literally life savers!
- Disinfecting Wipes: Removes germs, bacteria, kitchen grease, and countless other nasties you find lurking in a dorm room.
- Toothbrush Sanitizer: Clip-on toothbrush sanitizers fit any standard or electric toothbrush and kill germs for up to 3 months! – No cables or batteries are required!
- Hypoallergenic Bedding: To fight the dust mites, dirt, and other bacteria living in old dorm room mattresses. Available in pillows, comforters, mattress covers, and fiber beds.
- Non-toxic All-Purpose Cleaners: All-purpose green cleaners are inexpensive and good for disinfecting baths, showers, toilets, sinks, windows, desks, countertops, and more.
- Hand Sanitizer: Great on-the-go product for students to eliminate bacteria in public places, from the dorm room to the classroom and public restrooms; one small squirt will fight germs and keep you healthy.
- Air Purifier with HEPA Filter: Available at most major retailers and some models deliver 99.97% efficient air cleaning and filtration, eliminating odors, pollutants, and allergens. This Honeywell model is available on Amazon.com.
- High-Quality Stainless Steel Water Bottle: Look for BPA-free, high-quality stainless steel bottles that won’t leach toxins or funky flavors into your water, juice, smoothie, or drink of choice. Perfect for the student constantly on the go.
Robin Wilson is a nationally recognized wellness expert and healthy space interior designer. Born and raised in Austin, Texas, Robin was brought up on organic produce in the early days of Whole Foods. Notable design projects include the White House Fellows office (2010), Good Housekeeping LEED-certified brownstone (2008), and multiple renovation projects for President Bill Clinton’s Harlem Office (2004-2010). Visit robinwilsonhome.com
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.