Eating healthy doesn’t mean giving up on flavor. Savory snacks can satisfy your salty cravings while providing important nutrients. This article explores many grab-and-go savory snack options, simple recipes to make at home, and tips for choosing the healthiest snacks to power you through your day.
What’s your favorite savory snack? And what’s your biggest indulgence when it comes to food?
My always mood is salad and fries. I could eat that every day for the rest of my life. And ideally, they’re sweet potato fries. Also would, most of the time, say yes to olives and almonds and a Campari Spritz. That’s a good type of moment. Biggest indulgence hmmmm, well, if I want something, I’ll have it, so I’m not really in an indulgence/deprivation mindset, but my favorite dinner that can happen in LA is Crossroads. I always just want to (and do) order everything on the menu there.
Want to start a vegan restaurant? Learn insider tips on menu planning, sourcing ingredients, marketing, and profitability from veteran plant-based restaurateurs.
Grab-and-Go Savory Snacks
When hunger strikes, having ready-to-eat savory snacks on hand can prevent you from making poor dietary choices. Here are some nutritious store-bought snacks to consider:
Meat Snacks and Jerky
- High in protein
- Look for options without too much sodium
- Turkey and salmon jerky provide lean protein
Nuts and Seeds
- Great source of healthy fats
- Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds are excellent choices
- Watch portion sizes due to high calories
A Reddit user looking for low-sugar savory snacks suggests roasted almonds with spices, noting that nuts and lower glycemic foods avoid becoming sugar in the body.
Corn and Tortilla Chips
- Whole grain corn provides fiber
- Look for chips made with healthy oils
- Baked chips are lower in fat than fried
- Provide nutrients from sweet potatoes, kale, and other veggies
- Watch out for fried options high in fat
- Some veggie chips have protein from peas or lentils
- Loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats
- Fiber and key nutrients like vitamin C, folate, and potassium
- Portion out servings ahead of time for easy snacking
- Whole grain, high fiber snack
- Focus on air-popped or low-fat versions
- Avoid buckets with lots of butter and salt
- Whole grain crackers offer fiber
- Pair with hummus or avocado for protein
- Choose crackers with 3g fiber or more per serving
- Low calorie snack made from puffed rice
- Top with peanut butter or part-skim mozzarella
- Avoid rice cakes with sugary or salty coatings
- Whole wheat pretzels provide fiber
- Choose baked over fried for lower fat
- Be mindful of sodium content
Reddit users suggest pretzels as a salty, low-sugar snack. Some even make them from scratch for a homemade treat!
- Baked potato chips and fries have less fat than fried
- Sweet potato chips offer vitamin A and fiber
- Watch out for excessive salt and oil
- Low-fat string cheese is portable protein
- Part-skim mozzarella sticks provide calcium
- Limit highly processed cheese snacks
String cheese is suggested by Reddit users as a protein-packed savory snack.
Simple Savory Recipes
Whip up a batch of these easy homemade snacks for a nutritious alternative to store-bought.
Grilled Eggplant and Cilantro Dip
Ingredients: eggplant, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, pita chips
Instructions: Grill eggplant slices 5 minutes per side. Blend with remaining ingredients except pita chips. Enjoy with fresh pitas or veggies.
Homemade Tomato Chips
Ingredients: tomato slices, olive oil, dried parsley, salt
Instructions: Preheat oven to 225°F. Toss tomato slices with oil, parsley, and salt. Bake 2 hours, flip once. Enjoy crispy chips!
Raw Seaweed Crunchies
Ingredients: raw nori sheets, sesame oil, salt
Instructions: Brush nori sheets with sesame oil and sprinkle with salt. Toast sheets in oven at 400°F for 5 minutes until crispy.
Crispy Curry-Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredients: chickpeas, olive oil, curry powder, salt
Instructions: Drain and pat dry chickpeas. Toss with oil, curry powder and salt. Roast at 400°F for 35-40 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
Redditors recommend spiced roasted chickpeas as a protein-rich savory snack.
Asian-Flavored Snack Mix
Ingredients: rice cereal, wasabi peas, dried seaweed, toasted almonds, sesame sticks
Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy the spicy, crunchy snack mix!
Ingredients: cornmeal, salt, water
Instructions: Mix cornmeal and salt with water to form thick batter. Cook spoonfuls in a pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side. Top with cheese or avocado.
Easy Vegan Coleslaw
Ingredients: shredded cabbage, carrots, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper
Instructions: Toss shredded cabbage and carrots with vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Chill before serving for a healthy crunchy slaw.
Healthy Snacking Tips
While savory snacks can be part of a healthy diet, moderation and portion control are key:
- Choose snacks with less than 250 calories per serving
- Watch your sodium intake, especially for processed foods
- Pair snacks with protein for staying power
- Graze on small portions throughout the day rather than binging
- Hydrate with water instead of sugary drinks
- Go for whole foods over refined whenever possible
Redditors looking for low-sugar savory snacks recommend focusing on nuts, lower glycemic index foods, and avoiding refined carbs that can spike blood sugar. Pairing snacks with protein can also help maintain energy levels.
See also: Dine in a cave, on a cliffside, or in an ancient prison – discover the 10 most extraordinary restaurants in Italy situated in unconventional settings. This post showcases innovative eateries in one-of-a-kind locations you have to see to believe.
What are your favorite healthy savory snacks? Share your thoughts below!
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.