“Be still” tattoos have become an increasingly popular choice, especially for those who want ink with religious or spiritual meaning. The phrase “be still” comes directly from Psalms 46:10 in the Bible, which reads “Be still, and know that I am God.” For many, these three simple yet powerful words perfectly capture the feeling of finding inner peace, calm, and comfort during times of hardship.
A “be still” tattoo serves as a permanent reminder to quiet your mind and allow tranquility to fill your soul. It speaks to the idea of being present in the moment, silencing your worries, and focusing inward to discover clarity. This concept comes from the Bible verse encouraging stillness and silent meditation as a way to build your relationship with God. For people of faith, particularly Christians, be still tattoos represent a powerful message about their spiritual beliefs.
Even beyond religious meaning, “be still” tattoos have a poignant symbolism for many wearers. They can signify getting through tough times by finding the strength within. The words serve as a reminder to pause, reflect, and be fully present. Simple yet full of deep personal meaning, “be still” tattoos are a popular, versatile, and meaningful option for body art.
If you’re considering an uplifting faith over fear tattoo, visit our blog to learn about popular meanings, designs, placement ideas, and more for these meaningful ink!
Meaning and Symbolism of Be Still Tattoos
The phrase “be still” represents the idea of calming your mind and finding inner peace. A tattoo with these words serves as a permanent reminder for the wearer to stop, quiet their thoughts, and focus on the present moment.
Some of the key symbolic meanings behind be still tattoos include:
- Mindfulness – Being still represents a mindful state where you clear your mind of worry and distractions. The tattoo reminds you to be meditative, contemplative, and introspective.
- Focus – When you are still, you can focus your thought energy on the matters most important to you. The tattoo encourages focusing inward to find purpose and meaning.
- Seeking Understanding – As the original verse says “be still and know that I am God,” being still allows you to seek deeper understanding about your spiritual beliefs.
- Connection to Faith – For religious individuals, a be still tattoo represents a tangible expression of their connection to Psalms 46:10 and their Christian faith.
- Finding Strength Within – Getting through struggles often requires being still, quieting your worries, and finding calm strength within. The tattoo commemorates inner resilience.
- Living in the Moment – Being still means being present in the current moment, not dwelling on the past or future. The tattoo serves as a reminder to be fully in the now.
The simple yet powerful words “be still” capture the symbolic essence of what it means to detach from worry and be fully present and focused in your inner world. The tattoo serves as an inspiring lifelong message for living a mindful, spiritual, and resilient life.
Popular Designs and Placements for Be Still Tattoos
When getting a be still tattoo, there are many options for creative designs and meaningful placements. Here are some of the most popular:
- Script or Font Tattoos – Getting the words “be still” inked in a flowing script or font along the forearm, wrist, or neck is a classic look. Cursive or calligraphy styles are common.
- Decorative Lettering – Adding decorative elements and embellishments to the lettering is a way to make be still tattoos more artistic. Flourishes like flowers, vines, leaves, butterfly wings or angel wings are popular.
- Nature Imagery – Since being still is symbolic of being calm and focused in nature, many opt for relaxing natural elements like mountains, trees, leaves, or water.
- Birds on Branches – Birds resting peacefully on branches or in flight can depict the feeling of being still. Delicate bird silhouettes are a choice.
- Hands in Prayer – Using iconography like hands clasped in prayer posture or holding a rosary captures the religious connections.
- Back Pieces – For large, detailed tattoos, the shoulders, upper back, or full back allow space. Great for elaborate spiritual imagery.
- Small & Delicate – Some prefer smaller, more delicate be still tattoos like simple type on the wrist, behind the ear, or the side of a finger.
The simplicity of “be still” allows for many creative interpretations and meaningful placements, whether subtly hidden or a major statement piece.
What Does the Original Bible Verse Mean?
To fully understand the significance of be still tattoos, it helps to look at the complete verse these words are derived from. The phrase “be still” comes from Psalms 46:10 in the Bible, which reads in full:
“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
This powerful verse has several important meanings:
- It encourages stillness, ceasing worry, and quietly meditating on one’s faith and relationship with God. Being still allows spiritual understanding to enter your heart and mind without disruption.
- There is emphasis on fully trusting in the Lord rather than allowing the troubles of the world to consume you. Relinquishing control over worries and anxiety brings peace.
- For Christians, this verse reinforces God’s omnipotence and the belief that He has supreme authority over all the earth and its nations.
- Some interpret it as a call to halt fighting, conflict and human-made disasters so that God may instead be exalted.
- The act of being still and reflective also creates understanding of one’s place in the world and in spiritual doctrine.
When the full context of Psalms 46:10 is understood, the meaning behind be still tattoos becomes even more nuanced and powerful. The verse perfectly encapsulates the symbolic importance of quieting one’s mind, letting go of control, trusting in faith, and focusing inward to invite understanding, resilience, tranquility, and divine presence into one’s life.
Ideas for Customizing Your Be Still Tattoo
One of the great things about be still tattoos is how easily they can be customized to make the design special and meaningful to each individual. Here are some ideas for tailoring these tattoos:
- Add Spiritual Symbols – Consider adding a cross, halo, dove, open bible, lotus flower, om symbol, or other spiritual images that resonate with you.
- Names – Incorporate the names of loved ones, children, or influential people into your be still tattoo.
- Nature Elements – Include personalized natural items like your favorite flower, tree, mountain landscape, or celestial objects like the moon, sun, or constellations.
- Words & Phrases – Pair words like “faith”, “hope”, “strength”, “courage”, “persevere”, or “at peace” with the “be still” text.
- Foreign Language – Translate be still into Spanish (“mantente tranquilo”), French (“sois tranquille”), Italian (“sii tranquillo”), etc. if those languages hold meaning for you.
- Creative Placement– Put your tattoo in a meaningful spot like over your heart, near a previous scar, or by other tattoos.
- Original Artwork – Have your tattoo artist create custom artwork around the words like abstract shapes and colors or landscape scenes.
The simplicity of a be still tattoo allows for infinite personalization so you can make it uniquely yours. Add visuals and words that reflect your spirituality, loves, passions, and personality.
Get inspired for your next let them tattoo with our guide to popular designs, placements, and customization ideas for these bold ink statements!
Be Still and Know Tattoo
The phrase “Be still and know” is often used as a reminder to take a moment to pause and reflect on the present moment. It can be interpreted as a mantra or a tattoo to remind one to appreciate the beauty in life and to be calm and still in its presence.
The tattoo “Be Still and Know That I Am God” is a serene assurance, inviting a peaceful connection with the divine within, and it’s a reminder to find solace in the midst of life’s chaos, encouraging a moment of quiet introspection and trust in a higher power.
This phrase can be used as a powerful way to remind us of our beliefs, values, and goals, and it serves as a constant reassurance that in moments of stillness, there resides a divine presence—a source of comfort, guidance, and unyielding love.
The Origin of the Phrase “Be Still and Know That I am God”
The phrase “Be still and know that I am God” originates from Psalm 46:10, which states, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth”.
This verse is often interpreted as a call to pause, reflect, and acknowledge the divine presence and power of God. The phrase encourages believers to stop frantic activity, let down, and be still in God’s presence.
It serves as a reminder to find solace in the midst of life’s chaos and trust in a higher power. The phrase can be broken down into two main parts:
- Be still: This is a command to stop fighting, to be quiet, and to let go of anxiety and worry. In Hebrew grammar, the emphasis of the coordinate imperatives “be still” and “know” is on the second imperative, suggesting that we surrender so that we may know that God is in control.
- Know that I am God: This part of the verse reminds us of God’s omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence. Acknowledging God implies that we can trust Him and surrender to His plan because we understand who He is and what He can do.
The phrase has been used as a mantra, a tattoo, and a reminder to embrace tranquility, trust, and the eternal power that exists within and beyond us. It encourages individuals to be patient, be still, and let God work in their lives.
Learn about the symbolism of snake tattoos from a Christian perspective when you read our informative guide!
Be Still Tattoo with Cross
A “Be Still” tattoo with a cross is a popular design that combines the phrase “Be still” with a cross symbol. The phrase “Be still” is often associated with Psalm 46:10 in the Bible, which says, “Be still, and know that I am God.”
This tattoo design can be customized in various ways, such as adding flowers or other elements to the cross. It is a popular choice for those who want to express their faith and find peace in their lives.
The Meaning Behind a Be Still Tattoo with a Cross
The “Be Still” tattoo with a cross carries a deep and personal meaning for many individuals. The phrase “Be still” is often associated with Psalm 46:10 in the Bible, which conveys a message of finding peace and solace in the presence of God.
When combined with a cross, a central symbol in Christianity, the tattoo can represent a strong connection to one’s faith and a reminder to find comfort and strength in God, especially during challenging times.
The cross itself is a powerful symbol of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and is often used by Christians to represent their faith and as a sign of remembrance for a deceased loved one.
Therefore, a “Be Still” tattoo with a cross is a deeply meaningful and personal expression of faith and finding peace in God’s presence.
Aftercare Tips for Your Be Still Tattoo
Caring properly for your new be still tattoo is important for keeping it looking vibrant and preventing infection. Here are some aftercare tips:
- Keep the tattoo clean by gently washing with antimicrobial soap and warm water. Avoid soaking it.
- Apply a thin layer of fragrance-free moisturizing cream or ointment like Aquaphor 1-2 times a day. This prevents scabbing and dryness.
- For at least 2-3 weeks after getting inked, avoid direct sun exposure which can fade the tattoo. Apply sunscreen if going outside.
- Don’t scratch or pick at the tattoo as it heals. Let any scabbing naturally fall off.
- Avoid baths, swimming, or hot tubs for 2-3 weeks until tattoo fully heals. Quick showers are ok.
- Wear loose, breathable clothing over the tattoo site as it heals. This prevents irritation.
- After initial 2-3 week healing, apply sunscreen regularly to prevent fading from UV exposure.
- For wrist/arm tattoos take care to avoid friction with clothing and wear arm protection when in the sun.
- Back and shoulder tattoos can be prone to faster fading so be vigilant about sunscreen and exfoliating.
- Schedule any touch up appointments after initial healing so the artist can fill any missing ink spots.
Caring properly for your new be still tattoo will help the art remain vibrant and meaningful for many years to come.
Be still tattoos have emerged as a meaningful and versatile tattoo option, especially for those wanting body art connected to faith or personal growth. The phrase “be still” from Psalms 46:10 is a poignant reminder to quiet your mind, be present, and find inner calm and strength.
Beyond religious symbolism, be still tattoos represent the universal need we all have to detach from disruption and be fully focused in the moment. The tattoo serves as an inspiring message to pause, meditate, reflect, and mindfully reconnect with what matters most.
With endless design choices from simple script to elaborate artistic interpretations, be still tattoos allow personal customization so your body art reflects your spiritual beliefs, loves, passions, and inner resilience.
More than just decorative body art, be still tattoos are a transformative visual reminder to find tranquility and peace within yourself, even during the most chaotic storms of life. They can forever commemorate your personal journey to mindfulness, understanding, and perseverance through inner strength.
We hope you found this article informative if you’re considering a be still tattoo. Let us know your thoughts on these meaningful designs and share your own ideas!
Do you have a be still tattoo or are you a fan of this type of spiritual, mindful ink? Tell us about your favorite be still tattoo meanings, designs, or creative customization ideas.
We’d love to see photos of your be still tattoos and hear the story and symbolism behind them.
Share your wisdom so others can learn more about these inspiring tattoos that remind us to find inner calm and strength, even during chaos.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2018. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.