Like any medium, tattoo styles go in and out of fashion with the changing years and seasons. This year, it looks like blacked-out tattoos are the hottest thing off the fashion pipeline. Just make sure you’re ready to commit to this tattoo because there’s no covering it up.
In recent years, bloggers and celebrities have been leading the charge on small and delicate tattoos, but recently the pendulum has swung in the other direction. Now, it’s blackout tattoos that are taking over Instagram. Of course, these big, bold, and dark tattoos are not for the faint of heart. Work like the one below takes a lot of time in the chair.
Tattoo artist Chester Lee of Oracle Tattoo Shop in Singapore is an expert in blackout tattooing, having specialized in it for roughly five years. The above shot is an example of his work. “For that particular piece, I had been at it for a couple of months, about 20 odd hours,” Lee said.
Of course, Lee isn’t the only artist working in blackout tattooing—the technique has become very popular for cover-ups—but he and others have developed their own style. Roxx, founder and owner of San Francisco tattoo parlor 2Spirit Tattoo combines large patches of blackout tattoos with more delicate and geometric work. “People who come to me are people who really don’t want to get tattooed that much,” Roxx told GQ. “Then they saw my work, and something changed.”
Lee says blackout tattoos are still “an acquired taste,” but it definitely seems like the Internet is catching on. His work and others have gone viral on Instagram and are popping up on websites of every kind. Slowly, the new generation is appreciating the cleanliness of this kind of work and the art of looking at just shapes and lines that emphasize the contours of the body,” Lee said.
What is the blackout tattoo trend?
A blackout tattoo is a style of tattooing where extensive areas of the body, such as the arms or legs, are completely covered with ink.
It has gained popularity as a form of tattoo. There are certain factors and things to consider about blackout tattoos;
- Appearance; Blackout tattoos create a bold effect since the entire area is covered in black ink. This can result in a cohesive design.
- Coverage; Blackout tattoos can be used to either cover existing tattoos or serve as a canvas for designs. They offer a way to transform the appearance of a body part completely.
- Maintenance; Regular touch-ups are required for tattoos to maintain their black look. Over time the ink may fade or become patchy, so touch-ups are necessary to keep it looking its best.
- Pain and Healing; Getting a blackout tattoo can be more painful and time-consuming compared to intricate designs. The larger area being. The amount of ink used can result in a healing process.
- Considerations; Before opting for a blackout, it is essential to consider the long-term commitment involved and any potential limitations that may arise. When a specific area of skin is covered in ink, it can become quite difficult to make any modifications or add designs to the tattoo in the future.
It’s always advisable to consult with a tattoo artist who specializes in blackout tattoos. They can discuss your ideas, expectations, and any concerns you may have. Their expertise and experience will allow them to provide advice and guidance.
Why are blackout tattoos so popular now?
Blackout tattoos have gained popularity for reasons. They offer a minimalistic appeal. They can effectively cover up old tattoos, and they provide a convenient solution for hiding unwanted tattoos.
Blackout tattoos draw inspiration from tattoos as well as graphic art. Their designs often incorporate elements of neo-tribal tattoo styles.
While blackout tattoos have become trendy, it’s important to note that there are associated risks. The pigments used in ink may contain harmful ingredients like titanium dioxide, lead, nickel, or chromium that could pose health risks.
Furthermore, some individuals critique the practice of tattoos for appropriation and draw comparisons to instances of blackface in certain cases.
People often wear black armbands to symbolize mourning, and this symbolism extends to tattoos as well.
Blackout tattoos have gained popularity due to their appeal and the ability to conceal unwanted tattoos. However, it is essential to consider the risks and cultural significance before opting for one.
What is the meaning of the blackwork tattoo?
Blackout tattoos are exclusively created using ink. They are characterized by intricate designs executed with planes of black ink.
Here are some important aspects of blackout tattoos;
- Meaning; The meaning of blackout tattoos can vary based on the design and the person wearing them. Throughout history, these tattoos have been used to express aspects of one’s personality, showcase heritage or even indicate affiliations with groups.
- Appearance; These tattoos are renowned for their appearance achieved through the use of carbon-based ink pigments. They often feature geometric patterns. It may also depict everyday objects.
- Style; Blackout tattoos typically consist of ink without incorporating color or gray shading. They can cover body areas, like limbs or even the torso.
- They have a level of intricacy and attention to detail, which beautifully displays the artists’ talent in crafting captivating compositions.
- The origins; Blackout tattoos can be traced back to cultures and their unique tattoo traditions. For instance, Polynesian tribal tattoos have significantly influenced the evolution of blackout tattoos as we know them today. Different cultures bring their styles and techniques when it comes to blackout tattoos.
Blackout tattoos have gained popularity as a form of body art. They utilize ink to create bold and intricate designs. These tattoos often hold significance for the wearer and are renowned for their striking visual impact.
What do you think? Would you consider a blackout tattoo? What about something more geometric, like Roxx’s work?