Major wrinkles aren’t usually the biggest problem for the skin of color as it ages. Nevertheless, fine lines, crease lines and expression lines that appear on the face during the passage of time, can be annoying. Read more to learn about our 14 wrinkle reducers tips.
The best thing for delaying the signs of skin aging is a healthy lifestyle. That means eating the right foods (eliminating the junk, sugar and processed foods), no smoking or heavy drinking of alcohol, regular exercise and protecting the skin from environmental damage.
Don’t have a false sense of security due to darker skin–use the sunscreen.
In addition, good skin care will help keep your skin firm, rejuvenated and youthful-looking.
These 14 natural wrinkle reducers ingredients have been known to help improve or reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
1. Almonds are the edible seeds (often called nuts) from the fruit of the almond tree.
Almonds are loaded with vitamins, minerals and have antioxidant and anti-aging properties that nourish the skin, prevent cell damage and protect against UV radiation damage. Using almond oil and almond-based masks can help delay the aging process, and treat wrinkles.
- Mix a tablespoon of ground almonds and 1 teaspoon honey with warm water to make a paste. (You might want to heat the honey in a little hot water beforehand.) Apply the mixture to the face and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
2. Aloe Vera is rich in silicon, which is important for collagen production and helps promote the formation of new tissue. Aloe vera is great for mature skin. It slows the effects of aging, improves elasticity and reduces wrinkles.
- Dab aloe vera gel on affected areas. Leave on for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water.
3. Amla Powder – Amla (Indian gooseberry) is also a source of vitamin C and protects against aging of the skin.
- Mix amla powder with lemon juice to make into a paste. Leave on the face for 10 minutes and rinse with cold water.
4. Avocado and avocado oil contains vitamin A, D, and E, and antioxidants that boost collagen production and reduce the effects of aging. It contains sterolins to help heal sun damage. Avocado can be used to decrease eye wrinkles, diminish expression lines, and perhaps even reduce deep lines and reverse the skin aging process.
- For a creamy moisturizer, mash a small amount of avocado (about a tablespoon) and mix with 1/2 teaspoon of plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and coconut oil. Massage the mixture into your face.
5. Bananas also help reduce deep lines and wrinkles.
- Mix 1/2 small banana with 2 teaspoons plain yogurt and 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix well and apply to face. Leave on the face for 15 – 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water. (The lactic acid in yogurt may encourage skin to produce elastin and collagen).
6. Carrots – The vitamin A (beta-carotene) in carrots helps in the production of collagen and smoothes skin.
- Apply carrot juice with coconut oil to wrinkles. Let dry for 5 – 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
7. Cinnamon plumps the skin, filling in fine lines and minor wrinkles.
- This recipe from DoctorOz.com combines 6 teaspoons each of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Place in a coffee filter and run hot water through the coffee maker. You can also place in the coffee filter over a funnel and place over a cup and pour in hot water. Allow to cool, and use as a face wash. Leave on the face for 10 minutes and then rinse. Nutmeg is used to lighten age spots because it turns off melanocytes (pigment cells). Just note that cinnamon can be irritating.
8. Cucumber contains vitamin C, which is an antioxidant useful for building collagen and elastin. It also has caffeic acid, which protects against UV damage that can break down collagen and elastin, leading to skin damage and wrinkles.
- Apply cucumber slices on wrinkles and wrinkle-prone skin, or apply cucumber juice to affected areas.
9. Fenugreek contains niacin (vitamin B3) which helps repair damaged skin cells and regenerate new ones, making it great for treating fine lines, wrinkles and age spots.
- Boil fenugreek seeds in water and use as a facial wash or grind the leaves into a paste and apply to the face for 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
10. Ginger contains antioxidants that suppress the breakdown of elastin and also provide protection against free radical damage.
- Apply a mixture of ginger juice and aloe vera juice (or gel) and apply to wrinkles or grate fresh ginger (or use ginger powder) and mix with honey to apply on wrinkles for 20 – 30 minutes. (You can also just eat the ginger and honey or make ginger tea. This is an ingredient that might be more beneficial when consumed.)
11. Honey – Bee honey is one of the best ingredients to use in facial masks and other homemade facial recipes and for a good reason. It rejuvenates the skin, and in term of wrinkles, it has antioxidants that smooth wrinkles and promote skin elasticity.
- Peel an apple and chop. Boil the apple pieces until soft. Drain and mash the apple and mix with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply to face for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
12. Lemon contains citric acid, an exfoliant that helps fades wrinkles and fine lines and other signs of aging like dark under-eye circles.
- Dab lemon juice on lines and wrinkles and leave on for 5 – 10 minutes, then rinse with cold water. Note: lemon juice will make your skin sensitive to sunlight, and you will need to apply sunscreen, even after you have rinsed off the lemon juice.
13. Pineapple has enzymes that promote skin elasticity and eliminates dead skin cells and dull skin.
- Rub the core of pineapple onto the wrinkled area. Let dry. After 20 minutes rinse with cold water.
14. Witch hazel is extracted from the bark and leaves of the witch hazel shrub and is better known as an astringent. Tannins in witch hazel extract tighten the skin to smooth out wrinkles, but it also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that protects skin tissues from free radical damage and therefore has anti-aging and anti-wrinkle benefits.
- Massage witch hazel into wrinkled areas and leave on overnight. Rinse off in the morning.
There are the best treatments to reduce the appearance of wrinkles in this article. I used an avocado face mask and it helps to keeps the skin free from wrinkles and other signs of premature aging.