Some people in their 20’s are seasoned pros at taking care of their skin, yet many are new to the idea of a complete facial skincare regime. Let me fill you in on the basics of skincare so you can evaluate what you’re doing now, and what you could be doing better. Good skincare is key to healthy skin, but don’t think it’s going to be overwhelming. You simply need to use the right products for your skin type and you’ll see the benefits right away.
What is Your Skin Type?
You’ll first need to see what skin type you fall into, so you are sure you are using the right products for your skin. Read the common characteristics of each skin type to see where you fall.
- Characteristics of Dry Skin
- Characteristics of Normal Skin
- Characteristics of Combination Skin
- Characteristics of Oily Skin
No matter where you fall in your skin type, you could also have sensitive skin. If you have sensitive skin, you find that your skin reacts easily to new products or certain ingredients. If you have sensitive skin, you’ll want to look for gentle skincare products made specifically for sensitive skin.
Daily Skin Care
Now that you know what skin type you have, it’s time to talk about a skincare regime. A skincare regime consists of the items you use on your skin on a daily basis. I recommend a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. There are many options for you to choose from when it comes to choosing a product line, and rest assured, price doesn’t always mean quality. Here is more information on what you’ll need in a daily skincare regime.
- Create a 3 Step Facial Skin Care Regime
- Serum vs. Facial Moisturizer – What’s the Difference?
One of the biggest ways to keep your youthful skin as long as you possibly can is by steering clear of the tanning booth, and using sunscreen daily.
UV rays cause 90% of premature aging, so start healthy sun habits now will be noticed when you’re in your 30’s.
- Tanning Bed Dangers
- Is a Higher SPF Level the Best Option in Sunscreen?
- Sunscreen – When Should I Replace The Bottle?
Extra Skin Care Steps
If you’re in your 20’s, you don’t have to be concerned about anti-aging products yet. Not only will that create a big hole in your wallet, it just isn’t necessary. In your 20’s you are not yet at a point where a lifting or wrinkle cream is necessary. Simply use a gentle product line, and rejoice in the fact that your skincare regime is basically fuss-free.
Something that is recommended to add in no matter your age is a weekly exfoliator. You need to rid your skin of the dead skin cells that are sitting at the surface. The best way to do this is with a facial exfoliator. Used 1-3 times a week, depending on your skin type and sensitivity, will get rid of the dull dead skin cells and encourage healthy new skin to shine through. And don’t forget your body, using a body scrub will leave you with smooth healthy skin as well. A weekly mask will also deep clean your pores, leaving you with diminished oil and reduced pore size.
- Why You Should Use a Body Scrub
- Choose the Best Face Mask For Your Skin
If you take good care of your skin in your 20’s, you can be sure to have healthy skin in your 30’s. Stay on top of your skin type, and know that it can change depending on the seasons or hormones. You may have oily or combination skin in the summer, but normal to dry skin in the winter. If you find your skincare regime is leaving your skin tight or on the opposite end, with many breakouts, it’s time to switch it for a temporary basis.
A dermatologist is always a good place to visit if you have skin concerns. They will take a good look at your skin and give you personal advice and product recommendations that you would not otherwise get.
Characteristics of Normal Skin
What does normal mean anyway? Well, when we’re talking about skin, it means that you are one of the lucky; at least for the time being. Skin types change over time and with changes in season. If you don’t have a problem with oil or breakouts, and you don’t feel that your skin is dry and tight, you probably fall in the normal skin type range. Most people with normal skin have small pores, little to no breakouts, and can get by with little foundation. To keep your skin beautiful, you need to find a good skincare regime and stick with it. Washing, toning, and cleansing your skin morning and night, as well as protecting your skin from the sun will help keep your skin in that normal range.
Here is a great three-step daily regime for normal skin.
- Neutrogena – Visibly Even Foaming Cleanser: This foam cleanser has gentle exfoliating beads to give a healthy daily exfoliation. With Soy and Vitamin C, you’ll notice brighter healthy skin.
- Neutrogena – Alcohol-Free Toner: After you wash, take a cotton pad and apply your toner to your entire face. This helps remove any cleanser that might still be on your face. With the lack of alcohol, you can be sure you won’t dry your skin. You’ll get a bit of extra hydration as well.
- Neutrogena – Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF 15: Again with Soy and Vitamin C for extra brightening and radiance, you’ll also get some sun protection with this moisturizer. But don’t forget to reapply sunscreen during the day. It’s false thinking that the sunscreen in your moisturizer or makeup will last all day. Neutrogena promises you’ll see brighter more radiant skin in less than two weeks.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.