Up there — that’s my makeup game being strong.
While most of my friends are complaining about the heat, I am praying for 100-degree weather, hoping for it to get hotter. I love to sweat, to feel my skin tingling, to jump in cool water, and dry off in the glaring heat. But I also love makeup. While I don’t wear tons of it (my routine is based around mascara and lip color), I do wear enough to worry about smudging, dripping, and melting — especially in the balmy summer months. If you too want to keep your work of art fresh and glowing, you’ll want to remember a few things:
- Moisturize It! There is literally nothing worse than wearing the caked-on powder or concealer look. To avoid sweat streaking or patchy, over-drying of the skin, you’ll want to moisturize your skin daily with a daytime moisturizer, preferably one with SPF. Take some time to search for the right light-feeling, oil-free moisturizer. I like DDF Ultra-Lite Oil Free Moisturizing Dew and Cerave’s Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM with SPF 30.
- Prime It! After you moisturize your skin, grab a primer. Seriously, this step might seem excessive (I know what you’re thinking: makeup before makeup will make me feel like I’m wearing a mask!). Actually, you’d be wrong. A small dollop of primer is lightweight, breathable, and will help keep your skin looking good all day. Try L’Oréal Paris Magic Lumi Primer Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer. This feels like cool silk and will give you that dewy, glistening summer look.
- Conceal It! Now, if you go without concealer or foundation, that’s awesome. For you ladies who do prefer to cover up your spots, under-eye circles, or ruddy areas, you’ll want to avoid the drippy, liquid-based foundations. Get your hands on a thicker, more dense concealer. Don’t use much, though! Blend with the tip of your finger for a natural look. I’ve always been a fan of Maybelline’s Dream Matte Mousse Foundation in the summer. It’s made with jojoba oil, but it goes on softly and evenly.
- Waterproof it! Waterproof mascaras are sort of a gamble. I’ve ended up with clumpy, melting black spider-leg-looking eyelashes after a dip in the pool. Don’t be fooled by the label, for not all waterproof mascaras are created equal. I love L’Oréal Paris Double Extend Waterproof Mascara. It works wonders!
- Color it! Ah, the fine, fickle art of choosing a lip color. You’ll have to make sure it’s long-lasting, waterproof, and hydrating. Bite Beauty’s Luminous Creme Lipstick is great because it’s smooth, hydrating, and long-lasting. It’s made without gross chemicals (like parabens or pthalates) and comes in a variety of colors. Be sure to pick up a moisturizing lip balm with SPF for your smackers, too.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.