If you want a festive red lip, but don’t like red lipstick, these lip glosses, lip balms, and stains off your the same look.
There are people who are 100% addicted to lipstick, and then there are those people who can’t stand wearing lipstick. It’s not necessarily the strong color they don’t like. They may not like lipstick because it makes their lips extremely dry, or because you have to apply it perfectly, otherwise, you look like a disheveled clown. If you give up lipstick, you don’t have to give up bold lip color. There are lots of highly-pigmented glosses, stains, liquid lipsticks, and balms that give you a pop of color, that don’t require the precision of a lipstick.
Red Lipstick Alternatives For People Who Don’t Like Lipstick
If you’re not normally a red lipstick fan, there is something about the holiday season that makes you want to wear a scarlet lippy. Perhaps it’s from all of the eggnogs, or maybe it is because you want to enhance the colors in your Christmas sweater, but red lips are a staple this time of year. If you don’t like drying lipsticks, you can still get a cherry red pout. There are lots of vivid glosses, stains, and balms that offer a shot of red. Unlike lipsticks, you don’t have to worry about them immediately migrating from your lips.
Here are 17 lipstick alternatives that even lipstick addicts will want to try:
1. Essential Lip Stain In Hot Tamale ($2, e.l.f.)
Scribble on your lips with this easy-to-use marker applicator. Just remember to stay within the lines.
2. Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick In Melted Candy ($21, Too Faced)
This merges all of the benefits of a stain, gloss, and liquid lipstick into one tiny tube. The precision tip applicator gives you a flawless application every time.
3. Soft Matte Lip Cream In Copenhagen ($5.99, NYX Cosmetics)
You don’t have to give up a vampy pout just because you don’t like lipstick. This lip cream comes in a deep shade of red.
4. Stained Gloss In Aurora ($18, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics)
Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics‘ lip tars are a great, pigment-packed lipstick alternative, but the stained glosses give you dazzling shine.
5. Lacquer Rouge In RD501 Drama, ($25, Shiseido)
Even red lipstick lovers will be tempted to trade in their regular lippy for this moisturizing liquid lipstick.
6. ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipcolor In Stellar Sunrise ($10.99, Revlon)
You don’t need to worry about constant touch-ups. This stay-put lippy lasts up to 12 hours.
7. Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain In 5 Mauve Pigmente ($35, Yves Saint Laurent)
You don’t need to remember the long French name. Just remember that this lightweight lip product lasts as long as a stain and has the shine of a gloss.
8. Outlast All-Day Lipcolor In Beaming Berry 720 ($8.49, CoverGirl)
One of the most annoying things about wearing lipstick is constantly having to make sure it’s still on your face and looks decent. This lip color doesn’t feather or bleed, and lasts up to 16 hours.
9. Stay All Day Vinyl Lip Gloss In Nude Vinyl ($24, Stila)
A long-wearing lip product that doesn’t dry out your lips? Yes, please. Plus, it delivers intense shine and highly pigmented color.
10. Chubby Stick Intense Moisturizing Lip Color Balm In Plushest Punch ($17, Clinique)
This lip color is right between sheer and opaque. Plus, the stick applicator is simple to use.
11. Color Elixir Lip Color In Glistening Amber ($8.99, Maybelline)
You won’t need to apply lip balm before using this nourishing lip color. It has a balm-infused formula.
12. Be Legendary Long-Wear Lip Lacquer In Currant ($24, Smashbox)
This velvety lip lacquer stays put for up to 8 hours without peeling or drying out your lips. Apply it in the morning, and forget about it.
13. Lip Tint In Joyful ($4.49, Pixel)
This lip tint glides on smoothly over your pout, and it contains mango and shea butter to keep your lips hydrated.
14. Tinted Lip Balm In Pink Bikini ($18, Lucy B)
This pot is great because applying products with your fingers is much easier than applying color straight from a lipstick bullet.
15. Power Pigment In Blissful ($24, Tarte)
This pretty pencil has shea butter, mint, and vitamins to deliver a big dose of moisture, as well as a pop of color.
16. Lip Bullet In It Takes Two ($10, Topshop)
This vibrant lip color is great because it shares the same name as a classic Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen movie, and it has a precise self-sharpening applicator.
17. Glam Lip Luster In Icon ($24, Michael Kors)
Is your lipstick technique lacking? This glossy lip luster delivers a sheer wash of color, so it’s not blatantly obvious if your application isn’t flawless.
Beauty Expert, Contributing Editor
Susan started her career in writing as an intern at Blufashion way back in 2015 and continued to write herself in and out of situations. She went to school for Creative Writing and sort of Journalism but mostly making things up and getting graded on it. She wears way too many stripes.