Put down your black eyeliner and try a colored liner. Whether you like a liquid or pencil they are lots of colorful choices.
We have a tendency to use the same black eyeliner to recreate the exact same eyeliner shape every day. (When was the last time you tried something else besides your signature cat-eye?) You should switch up your eyeliner shape from time to time, just like you should switch up the color of your liner. Colorful eyeliners are easier to pull off than bright eyeshadows. They add a fun pop of color that doesn’t look dated or Halloween-ish. See Kerry Washington‘s subtle pastel blue liner for proof. The great news is, whether you prefer a pencil, liquid, or gel, there are plenty of different, colorful options.
Here are 17 colored eyeliners that are way more fun than basic black:
- Perfect Blend Eyeliner In Cobalt Blue 135 ($4,99, CoverGirl): This intense liner has a blending tip on the opposite side so that you can smudge your not-so-perfect line into a perfect smokey eye.
- Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner In Violet Ink ($24, Bobbi Brown): Bobbi Brown‘s gel eyeliner is a cult classic. This purple shade would enhance any eye color.
- Glam Liner Aqua Luxe In Glam Pink ($5.50, NYX Cosmetics): Shimmer plus an eye-catching color can be an intimidating combination, but if you keep the rest of your makeup simple, a flick of this is quite wearable.
- Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner In Moss ($20, Stila): It’s understandable if you don’t want to trade your black liner for a shocking pink right away. This forest green shade is a good place to start.
- Retractable Waterproof Liner In 03 Purple ($13, Sephora): This almost-pink waterproof liner has a smudge tip and sharpener so that you can create the perfect colorful smokey eye with only one tool.
- Studio Cream Eyeliner In Ivory ($3, e.l.f.): White eyeliner isn’t just for your Twiggy Halloween costume. A thin line on your top lash line looks modern.
- Highliner Gel Eye Crayon In Mari(Gold) ($25, Marc Jacobs Beauty): This peachy shade is the perfect blend of yellow and gold. The unique gel crayon delivers intense, waterproof color.
- SuperShock Gel Eye Liner Pencil In Aqua Pop ($8, Avon): This unapologetically bold eyeliner is made with 20% liquid gel, so it glides on smoothly every time.
- Always Sharp 3D Liner In 3D Gunmetal ($20, Smashbox): You don’t have to worry if you can’t find your sharpener again. This shimmery silver liner self-sharpens every time you take off the cap. How clever.
- Liquid Liner In 22 ($11, Inglot): Don’t be fooled by the stark black packaging. Inside is a quick-drying bronze liner that will make your eyes pop.
- Aqua Liner In Iridescent Fuchsia ($23, Make Up For Ever): This might just be Barbie’s dream eyeliner. This hot pink liner is smudge, tear, and waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about it migrating down your cheeks.
- Pro Cream Eyeliner In Plum ($20, LORAC): If your favorite eye makeup is a cream liner, this plum shade is a great way to brighten your eyes.
- Eyeliner Pencil In Parrot Cay ($22, NARS): This creamy mint green eye pencil would be a fun way to highlight the inner corners of the eyes instead of the traditional white.
- Water-Resistant Eyeliner In Lime Green ($6, Jane Cosmetics): If your favorite color is lime green, you’ll love this highly pigmented liner.
- Starlight Waterproof Eyeliner In Ice Blue ($15, Mally Beauty): A pretty pastel shade can have just as much impact as a saturated color.
- Double-Ended Kohl In Hear Me Roar ($12, Topshop): Wear these two blueliners individually, or layer them together to create countless new eye makeup looks.
- 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner In Eldorado ($19, Urban Decay): This super skinny brush allows you to paint on a barely visible line. Remember, practice makes perfect.
Makeup Expert & Manicurists, Contributing Editor
Jessica is a writer who feels it is a job requirement to own every shade of nail polish. She thinks any bad day can be improved by a trip to Sephora–provided there aren’t 10 people giving themselves makeovers, in front of the new lipsticks.