I purchased my first fancy flat iron years ago now, directly due to the trend of super sleek straight hair of the 90s and early 2000s. I was ecstatic to have such a high-quality product that would keep my hair straight for days on end (weather permitting, of course!). At that stage, I never even thought of the multitude of uses that a flat iron had along with straightening your hair.
I’d heard about using a hair straightener to curl your hair, but after being reassured that it was totally easy to achieve, I could still never nail the process. After asking friends, work colleagues, and even hairdressers for tips and tricks on how to do it, I was still stuck with weird kinks in my hair — nothing at all that resembled beach hair!
Luckily, with the help of Cloud Nine, I’ve finally been able to master this easy (yes, it really is easy, I wouldn’t lie to you, guys!) hairstyle. Using the classic Cloud Nine Original Iron, I found that my hair didn’t dry out from the heat, and the iron was able to glide through my locks, creating these natural waves. Needless to say, I was super impressed with what Cloud Nine had to offer!
So if you’ve been like me in the past, and you’re desperate to work out just how to use your flat iron to curl your hair — not just straighten it — read on below for our simple tutorial!
What you’ll need:
- A flat iron (I used The Original Iron from Cloud Nine, which was amazing!!!)
- Hairstyling clips
- Start off with clean, dry hair and section off into equal parts.
- Take a large vertical section of hair and place the iron at the roots. As you bring the iron down your hair, give it a half-turn and move slowly through the hair. Gently release the curl.
- Continue this technique through the back of your hair and then the top section.
- Once hair is curled, use your fingers to loosen up the waves and expand volume.
- Spritz with some hairspray for support and extra hold.
Did you find this hair tutorial useful? Tell us in the comments below!