Sorry, no content matched your criteria.
Fragrances - Basic Fragrance Facts
Basic Fragrance Facts
Guides for beginners regarding the basics of fragrance shopping and understanding scent.
- Differences between eau de toilette & eau de parfum: Short guide into differences between eau de toilette, eau de parfum & eau de cologne.
- Fragrance Families Breakdown and examples of perfumes for each: Understanding what fragrance families are.
- Perfume sillage – what it is, how to handle it: Fragrance sillage is the perfume’s trail which can attract or repel: here’s how to test your own fragrant trail, tips to control it or even increase it!
- Definition – Ambergris or Grey Amber in Perfumes: One of the most prized perfumery materials comes from the sea. The sensuous aroma of ambergris is worth its weight in gold. Find out about “grey amber” scent and origin.
- What are the Gourmand Fragrances?: Sweet smelling perfumes are a huge trend. Based on conclusive evidence that they are appealing to most people discover popular gourmand fragrances.
- What is a Natural Fragrance?: Armed with the knowledge of what defines a fragrance as “natural” (or as is the case, not) you can make an informed choice.
- Differences between neroli and orange blossom: Although seemingly close, coming from the same fragrant tree, neroli and orange blossom, two of the most popular “notes” have some differences.
- How are Perfume Ingredients Produced?: Basic & time-honored techniques for extracting fragrant essences for perfumery include extraction, distillation & enfleurage. Discover how they work.
- Fragrance Styles: from Aldehydic to Floriental and Back: The subdivision of fragrance families incorporates spicy, fruity, aldehydic, leather, sweet elements which help better organize scents in one’s mind.
- What is vetiver in fragrances?: Vetiver is an exotic Eastern grass giving a cool & earthy note in perfume. Learn how it works, how it smells & the top fragrances highlighting it.
- Musk in perfumes: the erotic smell of warmth & cleanliness: Musk in perfumes is a tenacious, sensuous ingredient which polarizes but attracts. Find out where it comes from, its safety in fragrance use and how it makes for sexy scents.
- Do perfumes contain animal-derived ingredients?: Animal-derived ingredients used to be a big part of perfumes. Nowadays the matter is different. Find out which essences are used, how safe they are and what you can do to be sure.
- What is civet in perfumes?: Definition of civet ingredient in perfumes. The surprising origin, the polarizing scent, the fascinating insights into its pheromone facets. Find everything out everything about civet.
- Perfume “Accord” or Chord – What is it?: Explaining what a perfumery “accord” or chord is and how perfumers build the structure of a fragrance by complementing and juxtaposing scent materials.
- Beaver Butt Secretions in Your Fragrance? Learn About Castoreum: Definition of the animal-derived perfume & food ingredient castoreum and its synthetic replications. List of perfumes which contain castoreum fragrance notes.
- What is a soliflore perfume and how’s it different from other florals?: Definition of a “soliflore” fragrance, explaining its difference with floral bouquet fragrances, with perfume examples for most common types of scents.
What’s current & hip in the world of perfumes.
- Exotic Oud “note” in perfumes: what is it?: The exotic “oud” or “aoudh” is a deep mysterious “note” appearing in Eastern or “oriental” fragrances for men or women, especially at elevated price points. Find out all about it here.
- What is Pink Pepper & why is it so popular with perfume?: Find out how pink pepper is used in perfumes and the freshest & most youthful fragrances on the market to feature it prominently.
- Choosing a Signature Scent – Method & Adventure: What is a signature scent and how to choose the best fragrance for your lifestyle, mood and projected an image. Perfume acting as self-branding.
- 5 Serene Tea Fragrances by Bvlgari: Bvlgari hosts a line of tea-scent fragrances color-coded from Green, to White, to Red, to Blue and all the way to Black. Find out how they smell and how they can make you feel cool, serene and comfortable year long.
- 5 Most Seductive New Fall Fragrances: The transition to fall becomes easier & more pleasurable with a new fragrance. Discover which 5 new perfumes promise the most exciting scenarios for the coming season.
- How To Wear it – Pair Perfumes with Hip Fall Looks: One of the trendiest ideas for a coherent look is matching perfume and fashion looks or makeup styles. Find inspirations to get you started here.
- What’s a Fougere Fragrance?: Definition of fougere fragrance, masculine perfumery and colognes examples, history of the fougere accord and the invention of coumarin. Explaining the aromatic fougere.
- Reviews of 4 Narciso Rodriguez Fragrances: Fragrance reviews & shopping info for 4 Narciso Rodriguez perfumes and colognes. Discover the elegant scents behind the fashion brand.
- 3 Lauder Sensuous Perfumes Reviews: Perfume reviews, fragrance notes and shopping info on 3 Estee Lauder fragrances for women: Sensuous original, Sensuous Noir and Sensuous Nude. One is for you!
- Reviews of 4 Hermes fragrance Merveilles editions: Perfume reviews, fragrance notes & shopping info on the popular range of fragrances by Hermes called Merveilles: Eau, Eau Claire, Elixir and Ambre des Merveilles.
- 3 Aromatics Perfumes by Clinique: Perfume reviews and comparison between Aromatics Elixir, Aromatics in White and Aromatics in Black by American cosmetics brand Clinique. With fragrance notes.
The top choices you can try out.
- 5 Sexy Amber Fragrances for Winter: Amber is a perfume “note” which is found in the oriental family of fragrances and which acts as an attractant: soft, snuggly, cozy, sexy!
Thinking about the scent in cultural terms.
- Most Popular New Fragrances in France for 2015 (FIFI Awards): Fragrance Foundation France gave out awards for the best and most popular fragrances for 2015. Learn which scents made the cut.
- 18 Surprising Places Where French Women Apply Perfume: There are a few tricks into how French women apply their perfumes and a lot of lore on how they do it. Learn about the best spots for perfume application for maximum enjoyment of your fragrance.
- Am I Too Young For my Perfume?: In defense of liking old lady perfume and why you’re never too young to be stylish and different if you so choose. Which of these retro fragrances still rock?
FAQ on Fragrance Use
Answering the most frequent questions on perfume use.
How Long Does Perfume Keep Before Going Bad?: How long before perfume goes bad and signs you should look out for. Tips on how to preserve your fragrances so they keep in tip-top form.
I can’t smell my perfume, why?: Are you anosmic to your own fragrance? Here is why you can’t smell your perfume anymore & how to rejuvenate your sense of smell tips.
What is fragrance layering?: Layering your fragrance to maximize its effect, lasting power or to mix an altogether new scent! Here’s how to do it with detailed advice & beauty tips.
Perfume sillage: what it is, how to handle it: Fragrance sillage is the perfume’s trail which can attract or repel: here’s how to test your own fragrant trail, tips to control it or even increase it!
How to Transition Your Perfume Wardrobe Into Fall: Smart tricks into making the most of your existing arsenal of fragrances with numerous fragrance suggestions for different effects.
How should I store my Fragrances: Directions on how to best store your fragrances, including the notion of “perfume wardrobe” and perfume storage during heatwaves/cold.
9 Top Questions about Fragrance Answered: From what perfumes drive men wild to how to apply fragrance on the skin to whether scents smell differently on different people there’s an answer to the top scent questions here.
Is Your Skin Affecting the Way Perfume Smells on You?: Skin type and body chemistry affecting fragrance performance and lasting power. Learn why this happens and when to make changes.
Tips for shopping
Useful advice for fragrance shopping.
Smelling Coffee Beans Between Perfumes: Helpful or Unnecessary?: Coffee beans are a lovely addition to any fancy boutique selling perfume but don’t necessarily help “clear the nose” in between sampling fragrances.
Fragrance Coloring – Box & Bottle Give Clues to Scent: Fragrance color of packaging and bottle give hints to what the scent smells like. Find out the color code clues to guide you into shopping for what you want.
Scents for a Better Fresher Smelling Home. Top Home Fragrance Products for the Festive Season. A scents review and shopping guide for the best festive smelling products for your home and office. Find out how to turn an interior into an abode of sweet-smelling delights.
Smart and polite tips on fragrance and its social role. The Right Way to Wear Fragrance. Learn how to make fragrance work for you by following these unusual and clever tricks for maximum effect and minimum nuisance.
Useful & easy scent-related instructions on getting things done yourself.
Historical data on famous perfumes and fragrance making houses.
- What’s the true story of Chanel no.5 perfume?: Learn how Chanel no.5 perfume was inspired by fateful events, how its perfumer used revolutionary ingredients called aldehydes & how it was named.
- 8 Perfumes that “Smell like a Hooker” (in a good way!): Some perfumes smell naughty, even slutty, but can also be interesting and worth trying. Have fun in our slideshow of “hooker smelling” perfumes.
Perfumes favored by celebrities and movie stars
Articles about iconic and modern fragrances favored by film stars, musicians, royalty, celebrities etc.
- Audrey Hepburn’s Favorite Perfumes & the Stories Behind Them: The movie star Audrey Hepburn is a fashion sense icon and an emblem of style, a distinction that runs over to her choice of perfume; chic & elegant!
- Mad Men & The Fabulous Fragrances Worn by Them: Mad Men has created a style of nostalgia that persists. Find out what fragrance or cologne the Mad Men characters wear.
- Marilyn Monroe’s Favorite Perfumes & Their Stories: Marilyn Monroe’s favorite beauty products. Find out which perfumes Marilyn wore, including the one she provocatively wore in bed, with rarely seen pictures.
- Jackie Kennedy’s Favorite Perfumes & Their Stories: Perfume, unlike clothes, had no public facade constraints, so the fragrances worn by Jackie Kennedy Onassis speak of her style even better. Find out her favorites.
- What fragrance would the kids from Beverly Hills 90210 wear?: Matching TV characters of the nostalgic Beverly Hills 90210 TV show to the fragrances they would have worn if only the series had shown us. Trivia & style tips for each one.