Rosewater has been used in traditional skin care treatments and is a part of many cultures all over the world. The women of South Asia have been adding rose water to their skincare concoctions. Many beauty experts suggest spraying rose water on your face before you go to bed, and it’s been used in multiple beauty products and cosmetics.
But have you ever wondered why that is? What is it about rose water that makes it so popular, and how come it has so many uses?
If you ever have, you’re in luck. Today we’re going to talk about all the benefits of rose water, and why it should be a regular part of your skincare routine.
The Benefits of Organic Skincare
Organic skincare products in general are some of the best things nature can give us. Unlike synthetic products, they’re easy on the skin, produce long-lasting results, and are hardly ever damaging.
It’s not just rose water. You can check this blog for all the things argan oil has to offer too. Organic skincare products cleanse the skin, hydrate it, and are both more effective in the long run and less damaging.
Anyone who cares about their skin tries to incorporate natural products into their routine, and their demand is increasing steadily. This is probably why organic skincare products are generally more expensive, but for many, the benefits are well worth the cost.
1. Reduces Skin Irritation
There are anti-inflammatory agents in rose water that are amazing when it comes to reducing skin irritation and inflammation. For people with skin conditions like psoriasis, spraying a bit of rosewater on the inflamed area can help minimize discomfort.
Spraying isn’t the only way you can apply rose water to your skin, but it’s the most popular one because of its consistency.
2. Reduces Puffiness Under Eyes
Puffy eyes in the morning can have you looking a bit under the weather, and that really isn’t the best look for anyone who needs to make it to class or work. There are things like cold water and gua sha that don’t really work, and then there’s rose water.
Just like how it helps the skin feel less irritated, it helps reduce puffiness under the eyes. It’s also a great remedy for dark circles.
Simply dip some cotton in water and lightly rub it under your eyes every morning, or spray it over your face and rub it in for a bit, paying special attention to your eyes.
3. Hydrates the Skin
Rosewater rejuvenates and hydrates the skin like nothing else. Women in South Asian cultures have been using rose water as an overnight mask for its hydrating properties. Spraying rosewater over your skin before bed can leave your skin feeling fresh and moisturized in the morning – not to mention the youthful glow you’ll get!
You can also mix rosewater with things like milk and gelatin to make a homemade hydrating mask, especially in the winters when our skin can get even worse than normal. In the summers, it can cool your skin and combat sunburn, and you’ll also benefit from its soothing properties.
If you’ve been looking for something that helps your skin glow, controls inflammation, has antibacterial properties, hydrates, and cleanses, look no further. Rosewater is a great alternative to a whole shelf full of synthetic beauty products that may give you quick results, but will never help your skin quite the way nature will.
The 13 Best Rose-Based Skincare And Beauty Products
Valentine’s Day is only two days away, and for people in love, everything’s coming up roses. For the rest of us, there are these rose-based skincare products. (And you know what? I’m not even mad about it. I love the contents of my beauty arsenal more than I love most of the men in my life. #SorryNotSorry!)
Truth be told, even if I was in a relationship, I think I’d still be spending my Valentine’s Day at home covering my face with rose-scented creams. It’s like I always say: Love me, love my potions and my lotions! So regardless of whether you’re one-half of a couple or flying solo, why not treat yourself to a little V-Day self-love with these rose-based skincare products? Nothing goes better with the perfect V’Day outfit than a glowing complexion, after all.
- Korres’ Wild Rose Daily Brightening & Refining Buff Cleanser: I have to admit, I was a little skeptical when I first heard about this product. I mean, what is a buffer and why do I need to use one on my face? As it turns out, my fears were completely unfounded. This is a really soft and creamy exfoliant infused with sugar-citrus extracts and wild rose oil, and it really does help improve skin luminosity. Oh, and it smells like an absolute dream.
- Jurlique’s Rose Moisture Plus Daily Moisture Balancing Serum: This is a nice little moisturizing serum that absorbs quickly and leaves your skin feeling smooth and not at all greasy. (And that’s a huge bonus for those of us blessed with an oily T-zone!)
- Sephora Collection’s Herbal Rose Blotting Papers: Speaking of oily T-zones, these blotting papers are a lifesaver for those of us fighting the good fight against forehead shine. The papers quickly remove oil and dirt, and they smell ever-so-slightly of roses, which I love. Each set comes with 100 blotting papers, and the packaging is really sleek and thin, so you can easily fit them into a clutch, small purse, or your back pocket.
- Lush’s Ro’s Argan Body Conditioner: OK, so maybe you won’t be smearing this lotion all over your face, but it’s such an amazing rose-based product that I didn’t feel right about leaving it off the list. It’s made with cupuacu butter, almond oil, rose petals, cocoa butter, and Argan oils, and it makes your skin feel truly divine.
- Korres’ Wild Rose Instant Brightening Eye Treatment: I haven’t tried this product myself, but one of the women who works at my local Sephora swears by it. (To be honest, I’m not even using an eye cream yet. Should I be running to the drugstore right now to buy one? Do you guys use them? Am I going to have uncontrollable crow’s feet now? Help!) Anyway, she loves it and says that it has really helped to soothe and brighten the delicate skin around her eyes.
- Rosebud Perfume Co.’s Rosebud Salve: Confession: Rosebud Salve is my crack. (Correction: Minted Rose Salve is my crack, but that’s because I’m a sucker for anything with a minty fresh tingle.) If you’re looking for a lip balm that will moisturize your lips, make them super glossy, and give them a subtle pink shine, this is the salve for you. Oh, and I should mention that it’s great for moisturizing elbows and protecting dry and painful skin. (Truth bomb: when I get a cold, I rub this stuff all over my nose. Kleenex feels soft, but that stuff can really do a number to your skin!)
- The Body Shop’s Wild Rose Hand Cream: OK, I know you don’t put hand cream on your face, but this stuff is so light, moisturizing, and delicious smelling, that I’m always kind of tempted to.
- Burt’s Bees’ Rosewater and Glycerin Toner: I don’t always use toner, but when I do, it’s Burt’s Bees Rosewater & Glycerin Toner. The smell is really lovely, and I like the fact that this toner is really gentle on the skin–it’s not too drying or too tightening.
- Lush’s Rose Queen Bath Bomb: This bath bomb is so delicious smelling that I can hardly stand it, and it fills your bath with rose petals as it fizzes. It is absolutely impossible not to feel like a queen when you’re relaxing in a tub that smells like a rose garden and looks like one too.
- Nuxe’s Gentle Exfoliating Gel with Rose Petals: I’m into this exfoliant because it’s gentle enough to use a few times a week, even on my super red and easily inflamed cheeks. I’m always on the hunt for exfoliants that are more gel and less scrub, and this one by Nuxe definitely fits the bill.
- Fresh’s Rose Face Mask: I’ll be honest–$62 is way more money than I’m comfortable spending on a mask. With that being said, I did swipe some from a friend the last time I spent the night at her apartment, and I wasn’t disappointed at all. This mask left my skin feeling soft and looking radiant, which is exactly what it promised to do. Two thumbs up.
- Chantecaille’s Rose Eye Makeup Remover: This eye makeup remover is vegan-friendly, so it would make a great Galentine’s Day gift for the crunchy girl in your life.
- Korres’ Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial: This night cream has been on my beauty wish list for ages. It promises to target visible signs of aging, even out skin tone, and improve skin quality. It’s also been known to reduce the appearance of acne scars, so if that’s something you’re concerned about, consider checking out this Korres cream the next time you’re at Sephora.