Last week, I shared my deep, abiding love and devotion to coconut oil, as well as suggestions for ways you can use it in your beauty routine. This week, I’m here to proselytize about baking soda, which sits at the right hand of coconut oil in my Holy Household Beauty trinity (the third deity, if you were wondering, is sea salt). Baking soda is cheap, it’s versatile and it’s probably already sitting in your kitchen cabinet.
Not only do I use it constantly for various cleaning purposes, but that little box of Arm & Hammer is an amazing tool for the face, hair, and body, too. One dude even uses baking soda as the entire basis of his hygiene! Here are 15 ways you can use baking soda in your beauty routine.
- 1. Face Mask: Baking soda + honey + lemon juice + ten minutes of your time = perfect face mask.
- 2. Brush Cleaner: Dip your makeup brushes in a solution of 1 tsp baking soda and 1 cup of water and they will be clean and sparkly. Well, not sparkly, but residue-free!
- 3. Dry Shampoo: Sprinkle a little baking soda at your roots and it can serve as a great dry shampoo.
- 4. Toothpaste: I’m sure you’ve used toothpaste with baking soda at some point in your life, but you can actually just use the powder itself for toothpaste if you want. Some people also mix it with coconut oil, essential oils, or sea salt.
- 5. Foot Soak: Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of warm water and say ahhh. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to make things smell good.
- 6. Nail Cleaner: You can use baking soda and water to deep clean your nails between manicures!
- 7. Skin Exfoliator: You can use baking soda and water to exfoliate your skin. Rub it in circles and feel refreshed! Try adding a dash of it to your regular facial cleanser, as well.
- 8. Pimple Cream: Sometimes I use a tiny bit of baking soda and a few drops of water as an overnight pimple cream. It usually flakes off by morning, but it still shrinks ‘em!
- 9. Deodorant: Baking soda is a common ingredient in ”natural” deodorant, like the Soapwalla one I love. There are endless ways to make baking soda deodorant yourself, but here’s a method that seems pretty easy.
- 10. Body Scrub: Make a mixture of baking soda, oatmeal, and organic sugar or sea salt. It makes an awesome exfoliating body scrub.
- 11. Shampoo: I know quite a few people who have just started using baking soda in place of their shampoo. It can be too harsh for some hair types, but if you’re into the natural approach, it is certainly worth a try.
- 12. Mouth Wash: Swish some baking soda and water around in your mouth for mouthwash.
- 13. Bath Soak: Mix about 1 cup of baking soda with 1 cup Epsom salts and add to your bath to detoxify and soften your whole body. Essential oils and/or dried herbs will make it even more relaxing.
- 14. Anti-Itch Paste: Once again, a simple paste of baking soda and water does the trick, for bee stings, big bites, rashes, and other itchy skin conditions.
- 15. Odor Remover: To remove garlic, fish or other awkward cooking smells from your hands, mix together baking soda, water, and lemon juice and massage gently.
Iskra Banović is our seasoned Editor-in-Chief at BlueFashion. She has been steering the website’s content and editorial direction since 2013. With a rich background in fashion design, Iskra’s expertise spans across fashion, interior design, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and culture.