Spring means warmer weather, and in the fashion world, this means we can finally stop wearing thick socks and heavy boots everywhere we go – sandals and open-toed shoes are back! But just because the weather makes it optimal to give our feet a little extra air doesn’t mean we’re all thrilled about that. Boots are kind of the best, and I don’t know about you, but I’m not quite ready to totally give up on mine just yet. While knee-high and over-the-knee options might be a little too suffocating for spring and summer weather, ankle boots are more than an okay option.
I personally love a good ankle boot in the spring, whether it’s the same pair you wore all winter with jeans or tights, or it’s a pair with an open heel or cut-outs on the side (very trendy this year, just FYI). They make a nice contrast with flowy sundresses and are the perfect compliment to jeans and a cute tank top. But if you’re not sure how to style your winter ankle boots with your new spring and summer clothes, let us help. Here are 20 style tips on how to wear your ankle boots this spring, with a whole bunch of outfit ideas that are so cool, you’ll want to steal all of them.
1. The easiest way to make ankle boots work for spring or summer is to wear them with a sundress. Without the extra layer of tights, this look is really cute and perfect for spring weather.
2. On colder days, you may have tucked your jeans into your ankle boots to keep your legs warm. In the spring, try cuffing up your jeans so that a sliver of ankle peeks out.
3. A maxi dress is great for slightly cooler weather, especially when you add a pretty cardigan and cute ankle boots.
4. You can also make a maxi skirt look perfect for spring with ankle boots and a long-sleeve shirt.
5. Ankle boots look cool and unexpected when paired with denim shorts. Add a button-down shirt to keep the look less casual.
6. Wear your chambray shirt open in the spring, almost like a cardigan or light sweater. Ankle boots complete the look.
7. Easily go from winter to spring with a long top, skinny jeans, and ankle boots. This outfit is perfect because you can add a little jacket to it if it gets cooler out.
8. Speaking of cooler weather, you can make your summer dress work in spring with ankle boots and a knit cardigan.
9. Heading to a music festival this spring? This outfit couldn’t be more perfect: high-waisted shorts, ankle boots, a crop top, a fringe kimono, and a hat. Comfy, cool, and extremely trendy.
10. Cut-out ankle boots look impossibly chic with a black outfit and a button-down tied around your waist.
11. Ankle boots are unexpected with a midi skirt and crop top, which is exactly what makes this such a great outfit.
12. Opt for colorful ankle boots rather than a brown or black pair. They’re so much more fun, and they look great with a classic striped tee.
13. Make mom jeans look instantly cool by wearing them with pointy-toe ankle boots.
14. More structured ankle boots look great with a more boho outfit, like a white romper.
15. Here’s a super simple spring outfit that will quickly become your go-to: a skater skirt, cute t-shirt, and ankle boots.
16. One advantage of ankle boots and bare legs? You can wear fun socks and let them peek out the top.
17. Pair your ankle boots with rolled-up boyfriend jeans and a simple tank.
18. Flat ankle boots look great with a long shirt and shorts. These are actually perfect for music festivals because they protect your feet from the icky ground, and they’re very comfortable.
19. Need to dress up a bit? Pick a pretty A-line skirt and top, and add some ankle boots with a small heel.
20. Suede skirts are a huge trend for spring 2016. Add cut-out ankle boots and look ridiculously chic.
Which of these outfits is your favorite? How do you wear your ankle boots in the spring? Tell me in the comments!